Shim between transmission mount and closing plate - 6.9?

Started by daantjie, 02 April 2018, 06:53 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

Another head scratcher here (does not take much I'm afraid :o)

I am gathering parts to replace my dinged up closing plate (I guess this can also be called the engine carrier?) but it's the plate which closes up the transmission/prop shaft tunnel to which the trans mount is bolted.  It took a wack in my accident and the dreaded vibration under load returned after I had cured it with a new mount before the prang, so i am guessing things got banged around and now she is rumbling again, ugh...

Anyhoo.  I ordered a new plate, part # 116 242 0601 (previous number was 116 242 0501) on ebay, great deal on a NOS part.  But I see the part where the shim sits looks a bit different, in that it has a drop down section, so it looks like you either have to use a modified shim, or run without a shim.  Hmmm...I recall an old post where the "shim or no shim" question was posted without resolve so this is a bit of pickle methinks.  As this is a crucial part of the puzzle, I really do need to make sure what the right setup is as a cock up here will of course result in the dreaded vibration again >:(  Maybe the 6.9 runs with the shim, or they changed the plate to accommodate a no shim setup?

Any sage advise greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

TJ 450

Hi Daniel,

I'd be posting a pic of the differences if you can. Both of my 6.9s have the shim, although my previous 450SEL never had it and it always suffered a driveline vibration.

On my cars, the shim does sit in the recessed area between the slots for the bolts.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

daantjie

Thanks Tim yup I'll snap a few pics and hopefully it will become clear when I have both setups side by side.  I also ordered a new shim, as it looks like the shim might have also changes along with the plate.
Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber