News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

shifter rod transmission 300 sd

Started by douglasday1@mac.com, 25 May 2017, 07:58 AM

douglasday1@mac.com

Having changed the bushings on my shifter rod (300 sd, 1979) I drove 50 miles and, at a stop sign, had no gear, forward or reverse.  I fear my new bushings have changed the length of the shifter rod.  Mine has no adjustment, unlike most of the rods. Anyone think my shifter rod is the issue?  The torque converter seems to be pumping fine.  haven't a clue about the B1 or B2 pistons.  I suspect this is a length of shifter rod issue.  Doug Day, Maine

dsd

s class

Welcome Doug,

The first thing I would do is get underneath and verify that the rod is still indeed connected to both shift lever and transmission selector. 

Errors in shift rod length simply means that the detents on the shift gate do not correspond correctly with the selector position on the side of the transmission.  You can simply verify this by slowly moving the shift lever through its range of movement whilst holding the car with the brake.  Hopefully you will then be able to feel the 'reverse' and 'drive' modes of the transmission being selected even if the gate is not indicating correctly.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL