News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Security for Mercedes Wheel Embellishers / Hubcaps ?

Started by kertbache, 18 August 2021, 09:16 AM

kertbache

Does anyone have knowledge of a security device that can be used to protect classic wheel embellishers / hubcaps from being stolen ?

daantjie

You can always just use some cable ties, not ideal, but if someone wants to steal them off your car they would have to come prepared with a knife or cutter of sorts.  Sometimes this is enough to deter a thief.  They are usually lazy and not the brightest of bulbs to begin with ;D
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

kertbache

Yes, of course I went past that idea, and beyond but it's not sufficient these days.

daantjie

Problem is if you get them on there too securely, then some numbskull will likely wreck them with a crowbar trying to get them off :o  I fear this is a no - win battle :'(
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

kertbache

Yes, it is a very difficult problem, and these hubcaps are becoming increasingly expensive if you want them in excellent condition. Hence the chance of theft becomes more likely by professionals.

kertbache

kertbache

I've found some very thin stainless steel cable ties that lock. They are very difficult to cut unless someone comes prepared with high quality cutters.

I'm also considering securing lightweight proximity [ door ] alarms inside each hubcap, so that it sets off an alarm if they are even tampered with.

floyd111

Quote from: kertbache on 28 August 2021, 09:13 AM
I've found some very thin stainless steel cable ties that lock. They are very difficult to cut unless someone comes prepared with high quality cutters.

I'm also considering securing lightweight proximity [ door ] alarms inside each hubcap, so that it sets off an alarm if they are even tampered with.

Maybe inside the wheel arch .. Anything in that hubcap is gonna affect alignment.. Or, just get an car-proximity alarm. Covers all.

kertbache

What I'm proposing is a small lightweight plastic alarm, so it will not affect the balance of the wheel if fitted in the centre inside the hubcap. It will certainly not affect the wheel alignment.

rumb

I would think some electrical engineer could rig a device that uses a 9V battery and a big capacitor that would shock the c$%^ out of anyone that touches a hubcap.  ;D
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

revilla

:)

The only « problem » with this approach is that the subject, in retaliation, could destroy the rest of the car. In that case, the solution would be much more expensive than the original problem itself (hub caps being stolen).  Let's imagine the security system is effective and he can't leave with the caps. He can then key the body of the car end to end. That's a worse nightmare!

kertbache

The shock treatment would be out of the question, and almost certainly illegal.

I've fitted two stainless steel locking cable ties 180 degrees apart that can only be removed with high quality cutters. I'll also install a vibration alarm that
would be triggered by anyone attempting to pull the hubcaps off.

floyd111

I still think a vibration-sensitive/ proximity alarm for the whole car is really much simpler. Connect the country-horn. 8)

kertbache

The problem is that vibration alarms can be set of for all sorts of innocent reasons, and cause great annoyance to other people in the middle of the night who live nearby.