Reviving old topics.. Overpriced Stealerships - The best alternate sources!

Started by floyd111, 20 February 2015, 08:29 AM

floyd111

Just been reading old posts, regarding overpriced MB parts at dealers.
Maybe it is a good idea to create a thread, listing the best sources worldwide.

Personally, I haven't even called a dealer, but I have been browsing 20 countries and hundreds of companies instead.
I am an internet hunter by profession, the very fabric of my company's success and survival the last 5 years.
Off Course! one does not call a dealer, when it comes to MB parts. It's a given.

That said, in this day of greed and limitless capitalism, all of this is deemed acceptable.  I think it is abuse. It is theft.

So, let's counter-act. Let's list alternate sources and keep this thread alive, listing MB numbers, sources, and/or aftermarket replacements that are actually good'n proper.
I will start by listing my source for OEM MB parts.
http://eshop.original-teile.de/
Buy small, or apply for a dealer-account, depending on your position. They ship cheap and the Euro is lower than ever. (Mention Stan in Taiwan, haha!)
These guys have beaten 99% of all prices for 450 parts I have been hunting for worldwide.

Another link..

https://www.adsitco.com/
I would suggest these guys are great if you are in the region, and need refurbished/rebuilt parts.
But, more than often, such parts are listed at higher cost than brand new MB.  Keyword is "compare!"
Buying aftermarket from these guys may be great, or not. One needs data, and quality aftermarket part data is hard to come by.
If you are going for cheap seals, just google URU. You want MB seals, buy MB.

Another link

http://www.type300.com/w116.html
They have a lot of NOS, and again, "compare!" is the key. Negotiating pricing is an option. They respond to emails.

Another link:
on eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/hpw-cardesign/
Not a big collection, but they have a few great wood-related items, and door-sil covers in steel.

Another link
www.GAHH.com
Known by many, but maybe not by everyone.
Great for carpets, upholstery. Service is swift. They answer emails They send samples if needed. They offer many more materials then their standard website listings. Just ask.
If you are in my region, I can assist in a professional matter.

Another link: Meyle, Febi
Much preferable over Uru and the likes-of. If you are looking for single items, browse in combination of "Meyle+ MB part number" Prices vary strongly, and good prices are available. Very good alternatives for those on a tighter budget.

Another link:
Mercedessource.com
Even though they offer an enormous assortment, one needs to verify whether a deal is actually a good deal. Besides Meyle parts, that can be had anywhere, there is no telling where the aftermarket parts come from. These days, almost everything is made in China. Devaluation of your car by adding such parts can be an issue. Quality can not be guaranteed. Also, email service/support may turn out disastrous. I will not elaborate.

Another link:
Your local refurbishing companies.
Don't turn towards far away companies too fast, if you need refurbishing of expensive, broken parts. There is no way one can be sure an expensive refurbishing company 1000miles away can do a better job than a local manufacturer.

Another link:
http://www.programainc.com/
One of my favorites.  Whenever an expensive, electronic part on your car needs fixing, check on these guys. They do this all day long, and prices are very reasonable.

Another link:
www.ohlins.tw
If you are in serious need of custom-made Ohlins shock absorbers for your W116 that far exceed the value of your car, contact them.
I will be here awaiting bank transfers. ;D

floyd111

Another link:
German-Spob
Yes, if you are really out of options, then they have much or all of it. But, ordering from their site is hardly cheap, and my experience is that it isn't even sure they actually stock what they advertise. And, in the end, you get a second-hand.
Also, I found that, on many occasions, I can actually buy new MB parts for comparable pricing, IF these parts are available.
I would first do a proper global eBay search in 4 languages.

floyd111

MM..surprised that I haven't seen anybody post links. Are there only unmentionable sources in your region?

beagle2022

I've always found these guys really helpful.  Not always effusively charming, but helpful.  The Aussie $ has slid recently, so may be an attractive source of tested, quality used parts and a limited range of new bits.  http://www.mbspares.com.au/Home.aspx
Sydney, Australia

karmann_20v

Floyd, do you need to be register in order to access the online shop for http://eshop.original-teile.de/ and view their pricing?

floyd111

No, you don't need to, but it would be wise, first off, since it allows you to explain who you are (shop or end user), which may affect price levels and it will also remove VAT from prices when they ship to you, outside the EU.
It also makes regular, fast one-click ordering easier.
That said, they answer emails fast and professionally

They have a system for bulk-order quoting that can be done online, by uploading .xls files, but you'd need to contact the man to explain how.
For most of us mere mortals, that won't be a required option.

There is one thing to know.
When one orders a series of items, the system may show all items with price and availability, but it can happen that at the very moment of ordering, MB just ran out of an item.
On single orders, one is notified before paying, but on larger orders, one will only be notified after having made full payment, and in that case, a quick refund will be made.

floyd111

another link:
http://www.germanstar.biz/116h.htm

Haven't bought anything there yet, but compared some prices, and some are massively better than from other sites.
Seems they sell mostly refurbished parts, but if they are well-done, pricing is very good, to say the least.
Would love to hear from ex-buyers.

gordonm

geospine

I've used Autohausaz.com in the past. They have quite a few hard to find parts for reasonable prices.
They are located in Arizona, and have decent shipping rates, for the states anyway.

ptashek

Quote from: geospine on 07 March 2015, 02:26 AM
I've used Autohausaz.com in the past. They have quite a few hard to find parts for reasonable prices.
They are located in Arizona, and have decent shipping rates, for the states anyway.

I've bought many parts from those guys, and never ran into any issues. Shipping rates to California were indeed very reasonable, and international shipping wasn't horrible either. The only catch is that some parts are US-model specific, and one needs to take care when ordering to match part numbers perfectly.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

rumb

Depending on what you are looking for the Mb classic center is pretty good.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

floyd111

floyd111

For manuals/booklets:

http://www.oldtimer-bedienungsanleitung.de/index.php?id=2

Just ordered mine from this guy.
Great service, booklets are copies, but the detail is such that even the natural fading of some colors have been thought of.
Amazing quality. Cheap too!
Did I mention already this is a very nice guy?

ronw123w124

It's nice to come across this thread, I'm currently restoring my '78 280S 4 speed manual which I bought very recently. It's actually the small trim pieces that are hard to find, like the chrome trim piece that covers the bolts for the side view mirror which so far I have only found in ebay but was priced ridiculously at around  $40 a piece for the left and right pieces. So far I've been lucky with it since my friend who owns a repair shop that specializes in older MB's has a vast experience in W116's, he just finished restoring his own '80 300SD and is currently breaking 2 W116's, a 300SD and a US model 280S, I got some parts off those 2 cars, mostly small trim pieces and the electric  window assemblies which I'm gonna use to get rid of my manual crank windows. So far I was able to order some rubber bits from a local supplier and also got some parts from Arizona Autohaus and then got the power steering gearbox reseal kit and the central locking vacuum element for the fuel flap from ebay. I was lucky to come across a car with minimal rust problem (this is being attended to as of this moment) and the interior is practically flawless save from some very minor cracks on the dashboard and the haphazardly repaired drivers door panel which I already sourced a replacement for. The rear glass has a very minor delamination, but my friend is willing to exchange his flawless glass which came from one of the parts car. This is my first W116 restoration but I have restored a W123, W124 and 2 W126's over the years, finding parts for those cars isn't as challenging as finding parts for the W116, most of the MB parts dealer here tends to hang up over the phone once they know that you're looking for W116 parts as they are relatively scarce here. Many W116's here have either been parted out or just simply left to rot.