News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Reverse engineering the Bosch K-Jet ignition module

Started by ptashek, 10 January 2013, 02:56 PM

floyd111

What on earth are you guys on about!
Been reading these posts again and again, and I literally have no clue what you're saying.
With 3875 (other) views till now, am I the only one with steam coming out of my ears?
I haven't even understood what it is you're trying to achieve here, haha!
I should have paid more attention in class..

ptashek

At this stage, I just want to build this thing proper, and prove it can be done for <50EUR a piece. By far the most expensive part would be the machined aluminium chassis.
And while I don't understand the circuit anywhere close to how djenka018 seems to, by now I could probably fix one blindfolded. It'll come in handy one day as the used item stream will start drying up.

Oh, and something from your quarters - I've just bought one of these NOS, never used in a car and still in its OEM box... for 45EUR + shipping.
Score!   
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

djenka018

Why not reuse original box and just replace the internals?

That way you maintain original looks and updated components; sort of drop-in PCB.
Make a good picture of the front and the back of the original PCB and replacement PCB would be made quickly.

I got few of EZL's, 1 was a gift, and I bought 2 of others 2nd hand from wreckers for about $20 each (tested working on the car).
IMO, get a few spare BU's (T5) and bob's your uncle.
But then again I do not mind helping you achieve your goal if the help is fun to me. Sadly, I stopped doing this for remuneration 10 years ago.
Vitamin C for SL... the SLC

floyd111

""Oh, and something from your quarters - I've just bought one of these NOS, never used in a car and still in its OEM box... for 45EUR + shipping.
Score!  ""

What, what, where?? What did I miss?
Haha!
My mechanic tells me I have K-Jets, so you're welcome to keep your goodie..

Nonsense aside.. It's a walk in the park for me to have your ignition box/case, -or whatever the contraption is you're trying to reproduce-, made here from billet aluminium. We always have CNC projects ongoing.
If you have a sample, I can do a quick 3D scan, or if you have a Cad/Cam, even better. I can easily quote you, non-profit..
Abroad, many CNC companies won't take appointments for less than 1000 units, or they will skin you alive to produce a dozen of 1 type. We do 10's cheaply all the time. Normally, CNC machine allocation time is 3-4 weeks.
Just a thought.

ptashek

QuoteWhy not reuse original box and just replace the internals?
That way you maintain original looks and updated components; sort of drop-in PCB.

Yeah, that's plan A, where the box is available and not weathered/butchered beyond use (like on my 350).
Plan B is a reproduction box. It shouldn't take long to make a mockup in Autodesk Inventor. I'll add it to GitHub when ready.

But then again I do not mind helping you achieve your goal if the help is fun to me. Sadly, I stopped doing this for remuneration 10 years ago.

I don't do it for a financial gain either; there's little point to it.

I just like building things, especially if the knowledge gained in the process can help others too.
I've learned a ton from posts in the Org forums, so this is payback ;)

floyd111

Agreed, that's what it should be about, at least sometimes. Trying to outsmart the system together by avoiding stealerships and hit-and-run cowboys, keeping these cars on the road affordably, and as original as possible.
For a few pennies more, I can have the CNC's boxes engraved with OEM part numbers, and stickers up to spec as well. Would be hard-pressed to tell the difference from real, with the right ionized coating color

djenka018

floyd111

That can be done as well, for a mere 10.000usd in molding costs.
I conclude that mimicking cast iron color on billet aluminium is a better idea. :P

ptashek

First revision of the box:

I'll get it 3D printed to check if the original lid fits, and then it's just a case of figuring out the inner mount points for an updated PCB.
I'll upload the Inventor files to GitHub at some point this week.

floyd111

:o wow, you don't wait for grass to grow!
OK, I'll wait for the complete files and have them sent off to our CNC guys

djenka018

ptashek

Quote from: djenka018 on 16 September 2015, 05:13 AM
I admire the devotion and energy...

It's fun! Especially the 3D CAD part.

Speaking of which, here's the 3D model files (still unfinished, and unverified):
https://github.com/ptashek/mb/tree/master/Ignition%20Module/Case

floyd111

If you can, please provide the final design in Cad/cam. It will allow a quote from a maximum amount of CNC companies, for i do not know for certain whether they use alternate 3D programs.

ptashek

And here it is, in its prototype "quality" 3D printed glory...

p..s.: I can provide STL files which any reputable CNC shop should be able to handle without issue.

ptashek

And here is my box mock-assembled with OEM lid, PCB and connector.