Garage > Mechanicals

Replacing spheres on a 6.9

<< < (3/3)

daantjie:

--- Quote from: raftel on 27 December 2020, 04:44 PM ---Finally had a chance to drive the car with the new spheres.  I would almost say its transformed, but I know I have more work to do on the steering and front end components.  That said, I now have a better sense of that the intent of this system was, and the car better combines the ability to float over surface imperfections while handling well.

--- End quote ---

Indeed it's a game of inches.  Steering coupler, idler arm bushing, subframe and control arm will need a hard look in addition to ball joints and sway bar bushings.

BCK1963:
Lucas,
are you sure you used 6 mm OD fittings?  The hydraulic lines on my car have the diameter of brake lines: 4.75 mm.

Rolo:

--- Quote from: raftel on 14 December 2020, 10:51 AM ---One of my early winter projects has been the replacement of the spheres on my 6.9.  The Classic Center hooked me up with new spheres in original Mercedes packaging.

I hadn't replaced the spheres in over 10 years, and it showed.  Car was riding like a harsh pogo stick.  I got the car in the air, and as the fluid flowed out of the old spheres, it was light brown and finely aerated, practically effervescent. Good thing is the fluid was fairly clean.  I got the central accumulator out, and it must have been at least 20 years old.  It was full of fluid.

I'm waiting to replace the lines to the struts until I secure some new crush washers, but I am having a problem getting a supply line hooked into the left front sphere.  It appears that the threads on the hard line may be a bit damaged, and it is not threading on to the new sphere. How may I go about cleaning up those threads, and failing that, can I use appropriately sized steel brake line as a replacement?

--- End quote ---

I replaced mine after strut rebuilds on Martin's recommendation, but to be honest, the shop and I couldn't tell much of a difference  What has changed is the fluid.  After flushing the entire system and washing out the tank, the oil is now clear.  I only have one piece of OEM rubber on the system and it's the front return hose which I can't figure out how to remove without major work.

ptashek:

--- Quote from: BCK1963 on 02 June 2021, 06:16 AM ---Lucas,
are you sure you used 6 mm OD fittings?  The hydraulic lines on my car have the diameter of brake lines: 4.75 mm.

--- End quote ---

On the W124 estate they are 6mm, which is where I was using the swageloks :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version