News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Replacement Stereo + Door Speakers

Started by sutekh, 06 June 2022, 02:25 AM

rumb

I have a Continental in my SL500.  It took many attempts to figure out, but it has 2 power in wires.  One will allow the radio to remain powered up each time you start the car.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

sutekh

Quote from: rumb on 04 July 2022, 09:08 AMI have a Continental in my SL500.  It took many attempts to figure out, but it has 2 power in wires.  One will allow the radio to remain powered up each time you start the car.

Did you have to change any settings? I've swapped the red and yellow wires to no avail. It keeps its presets fine, so I don't think it's an accy vs permanent power issue.

Rolo

I replaced everything a while back including a Kenwood head unit with a lot more power and Bluetooth for my phone.  I replaced the speakers in the rear deck with 2-way with largest cone that would fit behind the OEM grills.  I was disappointed.  You need to cut a hole in the deck to create a large baffle for the bass.  Which I won't do.  But the highs are much better. 

I agree about relocating the front speakers.  The dash is completely open and I can hear the front speaker cones bottom at high volumes due to lack of any baffling.  But the highs are easy to hear from both channels.  I'm recovering the rear deck soon and may copy you and put a sub in the first aid box.

I applaud your efforts and glad you like the results.

revilla

Rumb I'm also interested on how you managed to keep the settings in memory. Any insight is appreciated.

Quote from: sutekh on 04 July 2022, 09:25 AM
Quote from: rumb on 04 July 2022, 09:08 AMI have a Continental in my SL500.  It took many attempts to figure out, but it has 2 power in wires.  One will allow the radio to remain powered up each time you start the car.

Did you have to change any settings? I've swapped the red and yellow wires to no avail. It keeps its presets fine, so I don't think it's an accy vs permanent power issue.

JeffCullen

Quote from: Taha on 22 June 2022, 10:53 PMIf you don't mind could you please explain how you did that? I like to do the same thing on mine. Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Neil4speed on 23 June 2022, 09:16 PMI second that! Super interested
Sorry for the delay - haven't been back here in a while.

The Bluetooth module I found on eBay has an audio input (left/right/ground), an audio output (left/right/ground) and takes 12VDC power and ground. Under normal operation, there is a relay on the board which closes and the radio/cassette works as it did before any modification. When an audio device (like a phone) is paired, the relay opens and the Bluetooth board takes over.

The "aux input" guide here on the Org provided inspiration: https://www.w116.org/tech/becker_upgrade/
This told me where to "intercept" the audio signals within the head unit. I used a multimeter and found switched power and a usable ground nearby.

I found I had just enough space to wrap the Bluetooth board in Kapton tape and slip it inside the head unit... if I were doing this for someone else, I'd get a small plastic project box to put the board in, drill a hole in the metal head unit case (use a strain relief!) and run it externally. Bonus points for using something like a DIN connector and making a jumper so it's easy to revert.

In fact, Becker head units with provisions for an external cassette deck (like the Europa II in my W114 280) already have everything required to do the external thing using a DIN plug.
1979 300SD #6680 - Astralsilber - 153,750km
1998 E300 Turbodiesel - Rauchsilber - 172,000km

raueda1

Quote from: Rolo on 06 July 2022, 07:48 PMI replaced everything a while back including a Kenwood head unit with a lot more power and Bluetooth for my phone.  I replaced the speakers in the rear deck with 2-way with largest cone that would fit behind the OEM grills.  I was disappointed.  You need to cut a hole in the deck to create a large baffle for the bass.  Which I won't do.  But the highs are much better. 

I agree about relocating the front speakers.  The dash is completely open and I can hear the front speaker cones bottom at high volumes due to lack of any baffling.  But the highs are easy to hear from both channels.  I'm recovering the rear deck soon and may copy you and put a sub in the first aid box.

I applaud your efforts and glad you like the results.
This is absolutely the way to go.  Nothing gets cut.  Just be sure to use a "free-air" sub.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0