News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

re:petronix

Started by hagar24, 24 November 2015, 10:26 AM

hagar24

Is anyone using Petronix pointless system and if so, how is it wired?
Thanks

UTn_boy

The kit comes with a diagram as to how to wire it.  Myself and several others have had nothing but trouble with pertronix.  It works great until the unit gets hot.  This set up has a metal box that has to be mounted under the hood somewhere.  I'm guessing that the engine bay heat is what causes the problem.  When it gets hot, the system quits working until it cools down.  I, personally, don't recommend using it. 

I don't relish the thought of drilling a hold somewhere under the hood to mount the electronic box, nor do i like having the engine bay cluttered up with wires from it.  My personal viewpoint is to try to find another original or rebuilt switching transistor unit that the car originally came with.  They're very reliable and most of them are still in use and working.  The early versions used points in the distributor, and the later ones didn't have points, only a reluctor and pick-up.  The early versions that used points were very long lived and rarely gave problems, as the points operated off of a very low voltage.  They were merely a signal to the switching transistor box. 

If you still want something different, I recommend hot-spark.com.  Their kits are solid state, tried and true, very reliable, and most important to me, they're stealth....meaning once you finish installing the kit, one can hardly tell that it has a non-original ignition system in it.  :)
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

s class

I spent good money on a pertronix kit for my early points ignition 350SE euro.  What a piece of crap.  It never worked properly, and given that I have two degrees in electrical engineering, I don't think this is due to a lack of understanding on my side.  I reinstalled the points etc, and have had no issues at all, and the car does 3000km a month as a daily driver. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

hagar24

I am in Jamaica, points are hard to come by, so I was in Canada and got the Petronix thinking I would be ok,haven't started the car as yet, will see what happens, wasn't expecting these reviews.

UTn_boy

Most websites that you can buy parts from for your car will ship to Jamaica, and shipping is't too bad, either.  Also, ebay is your friend.  There are many sets of points on ebay for you car, and most will ship world wide. 

floyd111

Hagar.. You live in Jamaica? That as cool as it can be rough! What do you do there?

hagar24

Quote from: UTn_boy on 27 November 2015, 05:29 PM
Most websites that you can buy parts from for your car will ship to Jamaica, and shipping is't too bad, either.  Also, ebay is your friend.  There are many sets of points on ebay for you car, and most will ship world wide.
My worries is not the shipping, but the Jamaican customs who wants me to pay twice the cost of what I buy and part of the shipping cost also.  >:(

hagar24

Quote from: floyd111 on 27 November 2015, 11:07 PM
Hagar.. You live in Jamaica? That as cool as it can be rough! What do you do there?
I own a small recording studio, I am also a musician.

floyd111

ooh, big fan here, going back to the early days, after Ska. (I still have dozens of old radio recordings of David Rodigan's 80's BFBS show)
Maybe you can ensure a soft landing if ever I make it there.. it would be a dream come true!

hagar24

Just let me know when and I will see what I can do to make it soft :D

UTn_boy

I hadn't any idea that customs there were so horrible.  What if someone buys something for you and then mails it to you?  Is it still expensive? 

floyd111

That helps in most countries, and the fewer/smaller the items, the easier.
However, the moment stuff comes in an MB box, let alone in some form of volume, it is often Customs that decides the value, not the enclosed (lowered) invoice..

hagar24

Quote from: floyd111 on 30 November 2015, 01:09 AM
That helps in most countries, and the fewer/smaller the items, the easier.
However, the moment stuff comes in an MB box, let alone in some form of volume, it is often Customs that decides the value, not the enclosed (lowered) invoice..
Like you say if someone buys me sone thing, it will cost just the same.

UTn_boy

well, in that case, you'll certainly save money if you buy points rather than an electronic ignition system.  Points are small, and don't weigh hardly anything. 

hagar24

I would need points and condencor, and I have no one you is car smart to get me what I want.