News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

re:petronix

Started by hagar24, 24 November 2015, 10:26 AM

agav

I have a Pertronix 91868 Ignitor II with one of their flame thrower coils on an 1975 280S. Works without problems for me so far to be honest, but also not seeing a huge improvement (I have trouble with rough idle, etc. so that was one part of my trouble shooting). Wiring was pretty easy, simply followed the diagram (probably 20 mins total to install). I do have trouble getting my RPM meter to register anything (that's for another day...). Happy to look up what I wired and how, but the manual is pretty easy to understand.
1975 W116 280S in Topaz Brown - my project

hagar24

Quote from: agav on 02 December 2015, 02:27 PM
I have a Pertronix 91868 Ignitor II with one of their flame thrower coils on an 1975 280S. Works without problems for me so far to be honest, but also not seeing a huge improvement (I have trouble with rough idle, etc. so that was one part of my trouble shooting). Wiring was pretty easy, simply followed the diagram (probably 20 mins total to install). I do have trouble getting my RPM meter to register anything (that's for another day...). Happy to look up what I wired and how, but the manual is pretty easy to understand.
I would appreciate it as mine has gone missing, and I am now having a cap problem where number 5 is not sparking, I have changed the wires, same result, change the cap, same thing, and I also notice my EZL getting hot, any help is appreciated.

agav

Sure thing. This might be different for you and my car might still have way simpler electrics, but the setup here was straigh forward when I did it. I simply followed the manual and it seems to work.

As you can see from the photos below, the Ignitor module only has two wires going out - black and red. Black is on the negative of the coil, red is on the positive.

From the black and white photo you'll see that there was a balast resistor (?) with a green wire inside the distributor which I had to remove to make the Ignitor fit. The green wire went into the ignition control module on the side (silver box) and I have unplugged that just in case. You see the cut end of the green cable on one of the photos too.

BTW to everyone - that interrupted / cut green wire seems to be the cause for my problems with my dashboard not showing any RPMs. Any ideas?

agav

Forgot the B&W photo I mentioned. See below for the stock setup without Pertronix.

hagar24

Quote from: agav on 02 December 2015, 06:23 PM
Forgot the B&W photo I mentioned. See below for the stock setup without Pertronix.
Thanks,that help a lot.

djetronicista

I am using the pertronix that hooks up to the distributior no ignition box 2 wires come out of distributor now. Haven't had any problems to report but I did have to shave a little bit off the bottom of the rotor for clearance.
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

hagar24

Quote from: djetronicista on 02 December 2015, 11:48 PM
I am using the pertronix that hooks up to the distributior no ignition box 2 wires come out of distributor now. Haven't had any problems to report but I did have to shave a little bit off the bottom of the rotor for clearance.

Will try that tomorrow and see what gives.
Thanks again