News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Removing front suspension controller on 6.9

Started by Rolo, 19 April 2021, 12:27 PM

Rolo

When it rains, it pours.  Pump develops a leak and now front end drops in a few hours.  Time for Martin to rebuild.  I can see the controller under the cabin heater distributor, but can't for the life of me see where the distributor attaches to the body.  Any clues?  Thanks

UTn_boy

What are you referring to, exactly?  The pump is mounted to the front of the engine inboard of the power steering pump.  The front leveling valv is below the climate control servo.  In order to remove the front leveling valve the servo should be removed.  Afterward, disconnect all of the hard metal lines going to the leveling valve, as well as the link coming from the front sway bar. And last, you'll unscrew the two screws that hold the leveling valve to it's mounting bracket. 

Be triple sure the suspension system is depressurized before you attempt any of this. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Rolo

Thanks a ton  It's the leveler I'm trying to access.  I can't find the fasteners that hold it to the body in the engine bay.  I've got one of the upgraded metal units.

raueda1

Quote from: UTn_boy on 19 April 2021, 11:00 PM
What are you referring to, exactly?  The pump is mounted to the front of the engine inboard of the power steering pump.  The front leveling valv is below the climate control servo.  In order to remove the front leveling valve the servo should be removed.  Afterward, disconnect all of the hard metal lines going to the leveling valve, as well as the link coming from the front sway bar. And last, you'll unscrew the two screws that hold the leveling valve to it's mounting bracket. 

Be triple sure the suspension system is depressurized before you attempt any of this.
^^Yes.  While you're at it replacee the link between the valve and the sway bar.  The plastic ends embrittle over time.  The odds are good they'll disintegrate during removal.  Replacements are relatively cheap and available. 
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Rolo

Thanks for the tips.  Where in the world (or firewall) are the fasteners for the heater servo?  (Sorry to be so vague with other posts.)

UTn_boy

Quote from: Rolo on 20 April 2021, 11:23 AM
Thanks a ton  It's the leveler I'm trying to access.  I can't find the fasteners that hold it to the body in the engine bay.  I've got one of the upgraded metal units.

The leveling valves were always metal.....what is this upgrade you speak of? 

The climate control servo has two 3/8" bolts on the back of it that hold it to the bracket.  And yes, they're 3/8".  The heads of the bolts face the firewall.  Due to room constraints, you'll probably have to use an open end wrench. 

You will not be able to see or get to the two 10mm bolts that hold the leveling valve to its mounting bracket until the servo is removed. 

Rolo

Thanks a ton.  I can get to them now.  I got the metal servo years ago.  Made In USA which explains the whitworth bolts.

UTn_boy

Quote from: Rolo on 23 April 2021, 02:55 PM
Thanks a ton.  I can get to them now.  I got the metal servo years ago.  Made In USA which explains the whitworth bolts.

Whitworth hasn't been used since the early 1950's, and it was on English cars, not U.S. cars.  The U.S. used SAE.  (Standard of Automotive Engineers). 

Rolo

Thanks for correcting me, I've been using whitworth for years and people seem to understand.

How many and which hoses from the heater servo do I need to disconnect? 

UTn_boy

You disconnect all of them in order to completely remove the servo.  Be sure to drain your coolant beforehand.