News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

removed my rear subframe

Started by Big_Richard, 26 January 2009, 03:35 AM

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 28 January 2009, 08:24 PM
Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 28 January 2009, 08:45 AM

I had a feeling this might be the case - im not 100% convinced the struts actually do anything at all by way of damping. If you remove them from the car and move them up and down by hand all they seem like is a hydraulic ram.

I suggest you read the M-B Document  "Introduction to Hydropneumatic Sispension" which covers damping in about 1 sentence.

Damping is controlled by a plate on the strut piston with several holes in it which restricts the flow of the fluid on rebound and to work it requires a free flow of fluid which is why the damping effect is lost when the speres go flat.

Bill

Ahh yes, that makes sense  ;)

I always thought there had to be some sort of flow restriction or it would be *moreso* like driving a 21 foot boat.  8)

Big_Richard

Quote from: peterq on 28 January 2009, 05:32 PM
Patrick
I will be taking the rear of my 6.9 to pieces soon to fit new boots to the struts (original MB parts I've had for about 5 years waiting for me to get a round tuit), new rotors (only 4 years in the cupboard) and handbrake fittings. I was about to get new flexi hoses for the brakes, but if you have some steel wrapped ones available I'd prefer to use them. I or my wife are in Perth every few weeks, please send me an e-mail to sort something out.
I replaced the front struts a couple of years ago, I *think* it improved the ride but for the two weeks the car was being worked on (part time) I was driving a decrepit Ford Courier ute with no semblance of suspension so when I got back into the 6.9 it was difficult to tell.

Ive got a 5 year old front pair off a wrecked E23 that will fit a rear 116 perfectly.

You can have them for free if your interested, as it will be some time before i even receive these custom made ones to know if they are even any good or worthy of recomending.

Only catch is, one of them appears to be blocked, but some ingenuity would certainly fix it I'm sure, i know its blocked by the mouth test, but I'm sure a compressor would fix it.

Big_Richard

I had a go with a 2.8Kw karcher that was kindly loaned to me, it gets off all the encrusted australian red dirt with ease. Only problem is, it all ends up on the person holding the nozzle. The trailing arms also hide alot of crap in their underside ribs.

Previously hidden under the orange dirt were these factory markings, one in the centre saying 6.9 and one off to the side saying 4501. Interesting, these subframes were obviously assembled on site on a production line area with all other subframes of the era.

Monday ill be dropping this off for powder coating.

Had another play with the karcher this morning, coating these trailing arms with water soluble stripper. excellent results, so much easier than by hand. This is how these come new as a spare part, they are to be painted at time of assembley. I will not be painting them black, rather cleaning them up and clear coating them.

s class

What does the underside of those trailing arms look like?  My blue car's ones are scarred from stones and jacks placed under them. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

s class

Even the paving under those components is starting to look better again thanks to the karcher. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 01 February 2009, 12:40 AM
Even the paving under those components is starting to look better again thanks to the karcher. 

Well spotted ;)

Though it will forever remain a horrible "builders standard range" from 1977 in this drab housing area originally designated for returned service people. The original owner is a vietnam veteran and my hat goes off to him, but damn, he really should of chosen some better colours and carpets  8)

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 01 February 2009, 12:38 AM
What does the underside of those trailing arms look like?  My blue car's ones are scarred from stones and jacks placed under them. 

the underside looks reasonable on both sides, neither has sustained any damage. The gaps between the strengthening ribs were all filled with red dirt and it had set like concrete. Upon the first use of the karcher, that build up exploded out of there and mostly went all over me, in my eyes, mouth, hair and all over my face. One learns quickly the correct angles to hold the nozzle at to prevent such incidents. (thats what she said)

OzBenzHead

Oooohh, PB, you are awful - but I like you.   ;D  ;D  ;D  Your piece could have been a line right out of a Dick Emery show.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

dropped off the subframe today for sandblasting, priming and powder coating. Using contacts we have its costing next to nothing.

I understand TJ has caught the subframe removal virus and should supply me with his subframe for powder coating in approximatly 10 days when mines completed....  8)

TJ 450

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 01 February 2009, 08:07 PM
dropped off the subframe today for sandblasting, priming and powder coating. Using contacts we have its costing next to nothing.

I understand TJ has caught the subframe removal virus and should supply me with his subframe for powder coating in approximatly 10 days when mines completed....  8)
Sounds like a plan.  ;) I plan to remove the subframe on the weekend.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 01 February 2009, 10:44 PM
Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 01 February 2009, 08:07 PM

Sounds like a plan.  ;) I plan to remove the subframe on the weekend.

Tim

Its going to look so ridiculously good, im going to want to hang it on the wall as a display peice.

The problem with powdercoating ones subframe is, you can no longer drive on gravel roads or any unsealed road for that matter. As the flying stones and what not will chip it to hell. My days of lawn trenching will be over.