News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Reconditioning batteries?

Started by s class, 08 December 2006, 05:18 AM

s class

No, not charging, reconditioning them when they are dead.

Don't laugh - I have 4 cars, and getting to drive all of them regularly is a problem, especially the Ford which is parked in.  The Ford had a new SABAT a couple of years ago, but its only done like 250km since then, and the battery won't charge anymore.  My 280SE's SABAT is on its way out too - you know the symptoms - one morning it just starts dragging a bit when yo try and start.  Water levels are fine.  Now batteries are expensive here - equivalent of AUS$100 each. 

Since a battery is just a box with metal plates in it, and an electrolyte, surely something can be done.  I understand the plates become coated with crud.  I was thinking along the lines of pouring out the acid, and puttimg something else inside to pickle it for a while, and then putting in new acid.

Ideas?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

S class, I thought a flush with an alkaline solution like a bicarbonate or even water could help assuming that the plates aren't too corroded and the problem is just build up of whatever the crud is that builds up.  If the plates are stuffed, well that's just a useless battery for scrap.  I did a google but found lots of big claims and ways to make money so I'm starting to think my wives tale is crap but there is substance I believe in the theory that periodic conditioning can preserve plates and make batts last a bit longer, but not worth the effort IMO for the little extra gain.  Do you disconnect the batts when not in use for extended periods?

As for a miracle rejuvination as you'd need for your batts, dissolving the crud will stop the gapping and will expose max surface area again of the plates.  What to use though?

BTW, there's a guy in town that sells reco batts from Melbourne for very cheap approx $30.  In June a colleague used 2 for a Nissan Patrol within a week. Got money back and bought a new batt.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

I think the problem is insoluble sulphates that build up on the plates of partially discharged batteries, there's no fix as far as I know.

Preventing the condition occurring by keeping the batteries charged is the solution, maybe the mains powered trickle chargers that are mounted in the engine compartment would do it.

But four of them and the running cost might be more than the cost of new batteries.

k
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

Ah,

thanks Koan.  That's a plausible explanation for what goes wrong with batteries.  I know I'm supposed to keep them charged.  Last year I was doing some building at home and my Ford was so parked in by other cars and boxes and junk I couldn't even see it for 6 months, let alone get to the battery.  I guess some foresight would have been better, to pull the batteries out in advance and keep them accessible.  I'm jus wishing I didn't have to spring for two batteries in the next week or so. 

Ryan. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

P E Haiges

Some of the lead flakes off and drops to the bottom of the battery. There is no way to reclaim this. If there is too much lead at the bottom, it can short the cell and the battery is NG.

Batteries in the USA are relatively  inexpensive. I can get a battery at AutoZone or Walmart for less than $70 with a 7 or 8 year warranty. That's less than $10 per year.

P E H

s class

Ah,

Thanks PEH, that explains why its difficult to inject new life into a tired battery.  Thanks

jjccp

Perhaps there is a new way to recondition old batteries.

I just saw a review of this battery charger on Dream Car Garage on the Speed Network.

I have no idea if it really works but I might try it and see. I can't figure out how much it costs or how to order one from the web site yet.

It's supposed to have the ability to "desulphate" a battery while charging it.

Check it out.

http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp

Anyone have any experience with it?

Jim

1977 280 SE
1978 San Juan 23
1979 6.9 #6846

7mercs

jaycar elecctronics produce a battery zapper kit which reconditions old batteries.Silicon chip magazine had an article on the kit and i think stated it would work well with older good quality batteries.
Perhaps there is a new way to recondition old batteries.

I just saw a review of this battery charger on Dream Car Garage on the Speed Network.

I have no idea if it really works but I might try it and see. I can't figure out how much it costs or how to order one from the web site yet.

It's supposed to have the ability to "desulphate" a battery while charging it.

Check it out.

http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp

Anyone have any experience with it?

Jim

[/quote]