News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

recomendations of sealants?

Started by craigb, 20 June 2008, 09:48 PM

oscar

No, still haven't tried the hazet tool yet.  I've had a couple of parts come in the mail today but have to work over the weekend.  If it's queit enough I'll be able to use the tool on the 350 at long last but if it's busy, early next week I'll finally be able to work on the 280 again and will report back. 

Good news about your sealant exercise too and thanks for the update.  I'll be doing the same.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

oscar

Well, that tool does fit the 350 and the 280.   However, tonight I tried to adjust the tappets on the 350 and found an open end spanner to work better.  I only did the left bank on the 350 and rounded two exhaust tappet nuts.  These things were so darn tight, are they supposed to be this hard to turn? 

The nuts were in good shape with flat edges but the Hazet tool is a bit worn/damaged.  One particular exhaust tappet would not turn no matter what I did.  I even managed to damage a good kinchrome open ender.   The right bank has less room to move and can only be done with a Hazet type crowfoot tool.  After I kept slipping on the first tappet I gave up and put everything back together.  Most dissapointed. >:(

I didn't adjust any 280 tappets, just fitted the tool and the shape seems ideal.  Whether it will slip on the tappets like the 350 I wont know till I have a go.  There's a lot more room to swing a spanner above the 280 so I think I'm going to buy a new tool, the Hazet open ended spanner.

Have a look at Carl's pics HERE to see the spanner in question on the benchtop in the second pic and feel free to drool over that pristine m110 like I just did 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

craigb

Hi Oscar

Thanks for that and very interesting. Can't see that tool from the work computer and will look from home but I bet it is the $140 one I can get.

I don't know the 350 at all, but I had some really tough ones on my M130. By levering down the rocker and pushing it sideways I was able to pop off the arm and then get a long socket over the ball to crack it and then put the arm back and adjust.  Don't know if that will help. After an event of having an adjuster being too loose and working its way open, I found there is a factory spec for the range they should be in tightness and I removed all the arms and checked them all with a tension wrench.
1980 280s