News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Rear demister switch problems - 280SE

Started by s class, 06 November 2006, 12:48 PM

s class

Hi all,

I have problems with my rear demister.  It used to work fine, but I installed an extra switch next to the demister and dome light switches on the centre console, to provide a manual fan override.  Problem is when I did this the plug connectr on the back of the demister switch popped open and all the wires pulled out (still each on their individual pins).  It put them back as best I could figure out from the kinks in the wires, but the demister no longer works.  I presume I have some of the wires in the wrong locations.  It hasnt caused any other problems - no blown fuses or anything.  Can anyone help me with which colour wire goes to which pin location?

Thanks, Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

i found some info, it might help.

from the diagram there should be four wires, black/red, bu which i assume is blue, black, and a ground which is usually brown.

the switch terminals (not the plug) should be marked A, E, 31 and 15/54.

black/red 15/54  power from fuse
  brown       31      ground for internal on lamp
  blue          A        off signal to delay relay
  black        E        on signal to delay relay

if your colours are different or the switch unmarked i'd get the camera out as styria suggests.

k
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

koan, styria,

thanks.  I will get a chance tomorrow lunchtime to pull out the switch and investigate.  I will go with the colour suggestions you have made and report back.  Of course its the height of summer here now so its very unlikely I will soon encounter conditions that cause misting up.  I guess I could check the wires to the demister at the back and check for voltage.

Thanks, Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL