News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

rain water collects in overfill area by gas cap

Started by 1974450SEL, 14 September 2009, 08:42 PM

1974450SEL

Has anyone else had this problem?  I noticed the other day that rain water collects in the overfill area by the gas cap.  I have a new cap so not worried about it getting in the tank and the fill door shuts and looks fine.  I use a spray pump from a glass cleaner bottle and pump it out and the car is covered most of the time so not a huge deal just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this and some suggestions on how to seal.  Thanks.

another sad 280s

discovered i had the same problem the day i  went to take the car to the mechanic. just grab a nail or something similiar. on the rear bottom there is a drainage hole. you'l find that it will be blocked, hopefully on top. just stick the  nail into the hole and pull out. the water should drain out rather quickly

OzBenzHead

And while you're unblocking the drain hole, make sure that its drain hose is connected, sound, and exits the boot (trunk) correctly -- else you'll end up with water in the RHS boot (trunk) well. That hose is often, in a 30-year-old car, damaged, perished, blocked, or missing.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

Quote from: 1974450SEL on 14 September 2009, 08:42 PM
Has anyone else had this problem?  I noticed the other day that rain water collects in the overfill area by the gas cap.  I have a new cap so not worried about it getting in the tank and the fill door shuts and looks fine.  I use a spray pump from a glass cleaner bottle and pump it out and the car is covered most of the time so not a huge deal just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this and some suggestions on how to seal.  Thanks.

mine use to do this too, leaf litter collects in the tube and composts into an impassable sludge ;)

MB hard vacuum tube works wonders for unblocking such things

s class

I gave my car's drain holes a blast with the high pressure cleaner.  Certainly sorted them out. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

1974450SEL

Thanks for all input it help me to locate the problem.  It was a clogged/rusted line that has been filling in the trunk.  When I touched the metal on the drainage tube it pierced and the remaining water came into the trunk.  I dried it out and started a repair and then ran out of day light so I place the car cover on for now.   Its going to rain here in VA the next few days so I have to wait till that's done before I can pull the lining and assess the full damage.  No holes going through yet but the steel is very rusted.   I plan to scrape the rust and vacuum all the loose stuff spray the remaining metal with rust proof and throw some rubberized coating and patch the metal pipe for drainage after I blow it out with my shopvac. 

1974450SEL

OzBenz - I see now what you are talking about with rubber hose going from the pipe to the hole in the RHS trunk/boot well.  Any idea what size this rubber hose is/was?  I want to make sure to fix it correctly once i take care of the rust damage. 

OzBenzHead

1974450SEL: It's about five years since I replaced mine. My W116s are all at my storage facility about 6 km from home at present, so I can't check right now. Sorry.

I do, however, recall that I used a clear plastic replacement hose so that I could more readily keep an eye on blockages. The original was perished rubber and full of gunk.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]