News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Radio wiring

Started by marku, 14 October 2018, 12:00 PM

marku

Why is the wiring for the radio not included in the wiring diagram? It stops at the fuse. I know it is a relatively simple affair but I would like to see just how it is laid out. A problem though is the console control. Just what is it connected to? It has 6 connections 3 top and 3 bottom all red cable. Is that original because it looks it? There are no indications of which goes where. All the original cable was taken out by the previous owner who installed a really big sound system with so much cable you wouldn't believe. I have a set of cables (thanks to rumb) all with the the right connectors but I am at a loss to know what happens in the middle.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 14 October 2018, 12:00 PM
Why is the wiring for the radio not included in the wiring diagram? It stops at the fuse. I know it is a relatively simple affair but I would like to see just how it is laid out. A problem though is the console control. Just what is it connected to? It has 6 connections 3 top and 3 bottom all red cable. Is that original because it looks it? There are no indications of which goes where. All the original cable was taken out by the previous owner who installed a really big sound system with so much cable you wouldn't believe. I have a set of cables (thanks to rumb) all with the the right connectors but I am at a loss to know what happens in the middle.

If you're installing a modern unit with four channel output, I would skip the original fader. It splits two stereo channels across four speakers. I've ripped mine out, and have never looked back. It really is a piece of junk.

The six connections go something like this:
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Thanks for that. Appreciate what you said about the original but as I had the opportunity thought I would put the original wiring back. Also considering running a modern system along side. Your diagram though still doesn't tell me which terminal on the control is which as they all have the remains of red cables and none of the terminals are identified. The original wiring I is black and black/green.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 16 October 2018, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that. Appreciate what you said about the original but as I had the opportunity thought I would put the original wiring back. Also considering running a modern system along side. Your diagram though still doesn't tell me which terminal on the control is which as they all have the remains of red cables and none of the terminals are identified. The original wiring I is black and black/green.

There should be three terminals on the bottom, and three right above them. The bottom ones are the left side, the top ones are the right side. With the terminals facing away from you, the bottom-left in the pic is bottom-left on the fader, and the bottom-right on your top-right. Well, at least that's how it was wired on my car when it still worked (or rather: generated lots of noise :)).

raueda1

Quote from: ptashek on 14 October 2018, 07:33 PMIf you're installing a modern unit with four channel output, I would skip the original fader. It splits two stereo channels across four speakers. I've ripped mine out, and have never looked back. It really is a piece of junk.

The six connections go something like this:

Good advice!  I'd take it one step further:  If you're installing a modern unit and modern speakers (as I did), also run new speaker wires.  The factory ones are undersized for modern systems anyway.  The stock speaker wires are small gauge copper with PVC insulation.  Over time the PVC often degrades, especially in hot/moist areas, which releases hydrochloric acid.  Yes, HCl, albeit in tiny amounts.  But it can be enough to corrode the wire.  Leave the old wires in place if you want to be able to revert back later.
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

ekipe

Does anyone know which fuse in the fuse box is the for radio?

ptashek

Quote from: ekipe on 18 October 2018, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know which fuse in the fuse box is the for radio?

Believe it or not, there isn't one.

rumb

I believe there is an inline fuse that resides in the fuse box.  As stated there is not one of the regular fuses that protects the radio.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

marku

The fuse box will have the separate radio fuse only if a radio was a fitted option. Mine had no factory radio and therefore no fuse. When one was eventually fitted a fuse was fitted under the dash. At least that is the way I understand it.