News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

radiator

Started by Fergus, 03 August 2021, 09:32 AM

Fergus

Hello Colleagues

The garage has informed me that my 116  (1974 SE 280 automatic (no air con) needs a new radiator. There is an 'uncontrollable leak' from the bottom of the rad even with hose replacement. This may or may not be the case according to previous related forum threads.  Any suggestions gratefully received. The garage have yet to remove the rad so have no idea what the part number is. I understand rads can be reconditioned  - is there anyone in the UK who does it or is it  a case of buying a second hand one on line. Apologies for multiple questions.

Many thanks in advance

Fergus

daantjie

Any competent rad shop would be able to do this repair in a jiffy.  I am sure if you google you will find tons of shops relatively close by to you.  Likely they will also recore the rad while they're at it, makes no sense to repair the bottom tank and also not recore at the same time.  Can be a pricy affair so also check on local ebay, sometimes you get luckly with a NOS one listed for not too crazy money, only issue is shipping will be a bear and you risk damage of course...

For reference, I had the same job done about 7 years ago and it was almost 800 CAD :o  The guy did a stellar job though, so as usual you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Max-NL

A couple of years ago we had the radiator of the 280S re-cored and repainted after an accident with a grinder. We found a company near Rotterdam which restores and fabricate radiators for cars (pre- and post war). Apparently the Mercedes-Benz Museum is a customer of theirs. If my memory serves me right it was about €400.

This company is somewhat close to you (Birmingham). Reviews also looks good. https://www.readyrads.co.uk/
1971 R107 350 SL
1972 W108 280 SEL 3.5
1975 W116 280 S
1975 W116 450 SEL 6.9 #140
1977 W123 230
1992 W124 230 CE
2001 Ducati Monster S4

Fergus

Thanks Matt and Daniel

Very much appreciated

Fergus

daantjie

One more tip I can offer is to change out your thermostat, if not known when last it was changed.  They are super cheap and easy to change out.  Also the correct coolant to run is Zerex G-05, diluted 50/50 with distilled water.  Not sure if you get Zerex over there (made by Valvoline I think), great stuff for older Benzes.  It is amber - ish in colour, so if you have green/blue coolant in your system it is likely the wrong type.
Daniel

Fergus

Thanks for this v useful tip Daniel.

Used to drink thunderbird 'wine'  that was similar in colour to orange coolant when we were young - it was known as electric soup in Edinburgh.

Cheers

Fergus

ptashek

Fergus, in the UK and Ireland "Comma Xtreme G48" is the correct coolant. You can get it from Halfords.

Chemically, it's the exact same stuff you get in the bottle from Mercedes.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 04 August 2021, 09:59 AM
If you have green/blue coolant in your system it is likely the wrong type.

Nope. Green/blue was historically the right coolant. I wouldn't go by colour these days, but by composition. Ethylene glycol, with silicate inhibitors - that's the right stuff.

Or anything with MB 325.0 approval.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Fergus

Thanks Lucas

As always most helpful

Cheers

Fergus

Fergus

Hello colleagues

Thanks once again for helpful comments re radiator issues. I found a company close by that reCored the radiator. In the process they found that the leaks had been plugged with radweld powder and there was also a residue of oil in the lower 'well'. All now fixed and fitted unfortunately the transmission is now playing up - High revs before shifting from gear to gear and dropping back a gear  / high revs when putting foot down on the accelerator -  I went back through various threads on this site and plan to check transmission fluid level, kick down switch and solenoid, transmission modular and vac pressure into the transmission.

Cheers

Fergus

daantjie

Hopefully not some piece of debris that made it's way to the transmission...as the cooling loop runs through the bottom of the radiator crud left in the bottom tank can get into the transmission and cause issues.
Not to panic though, check all the basics first like fluid level yes.  Engine must be fully hot and car in Park with engine running.  Take multiple readings to make sure fluid reads between the lines on the stick.  Also take care not to introduce any lint or dirt while you read the level.  These transmissions are stout but need super clean fluid and level correct to shift tight.
Daniel

Fergus

Thanks Daniel

Sound advice.  It would great to have the car gliding in and out of gears without worrying about over revving the engine. BTW the thermostat was changed at the same time. Cheers

Fergus

revilla

Hi
The probability of contamination in the interior of the gearbox after removing/cleaning the radiator is low. That's the job of its filter. However, I'd change the ATF and filter and see what effect it has on the symptoms you described. If you decide to proceed this way, make sure you drain both the oil pan and the torque converter. There's some misunderstandings about the correct procedure. The manual is clear and straight forward though.  Preserving the drained ATF and carefully observing the pan internal surface is mandatory. You might (I hope not) find a lot of clues in there that could explain the misbehavior of your box.
Good luck.
Cheers

Fergus

Hello Robert

Thanks ever so much for your advice. I will let you know how this particular story unfolds.

Cheers

Fergus

Fergus

I finally took the car back to the garage to look at the gear change issue loaded with sound advice from this site (so thanks)
I got the car back last week and the gears are all working really well  - no high revvs between gear shifts and it goes like a rocket now.

I asked Matt the mechanic to summarise what he and this is what he emailed

...regarding the gearchange issues I  pulled a vacuum on the vac line to the gearbox whilst having the car in gear with someone sat in and adjust the throttle linkage until the car starts to move upon first opening of the throttle its a bity of a juggle all at once but that will sort smoother gear changes.

Well done them and thanks for your help on this site for the constructive  suggestions that have helped them work through the issues.
Btw and linked to other threads they have a laddie working in the garage who appears to enjoy working on the car  - all is not lost -help maybe on its way...

Cheers

Fergus