Question about Oil Pressure line to Instrument Panel

Started by zedster, 17 August 2011, 11:48 PM

zedster

OK I found out by reading on another web page that once you remove the instrument panel do not run the car because the oil pressure line will spew oil all over the place.  Of course I need to run the car to get both front and back window seals redone next week. I sent the cluster off to Overseas Speedometer for repair. Is there a way to cap this line or am I out of luck. I know stupid me!

Bill
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

KenM

A blanking plug will be required I imagine Bill, should be easily enough obtainable but you would need to make sure it had the right thread and fitting end to seal off properly, otherwise run down to the local wreckers quickly and pick up another instrument panel? Someone else will have a better idea no doubt.

zedster

The local yard does have a 1976 450 SEL. The last time I was out there I remember seeing the Instrument Cluster in the trunk. I however don't remember what was missing from it. Looks like I will find out. :)

zedster

I went to the pick a part yard this morning and unfortunately the only item left in the 450 SEL cluster was the clock. I however ended up finding a 1986 190e cluster that had the same fitting on the back for oil pressure. I have not connected it yet to mine but I think I may be in business.

zedster

The 190e oil pressure gauge fitting works. Works as in no pumped oil into the interior of the car.  ;D