News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Preparing the 280S for Rego Inspection

Started by TJ 450, 29 December 2011, 05:33 AM

TJ 450

Yes, there is always some work to do, even with a reasonable example.

I've got it running and stopping as it should, but have found some annoying issues. The main one is a clunking wiper transmission, a worn steering box (1" of play), and some oil leaks.

Other than that, I've performed a thorough service and absolutely everything original is now functional. The AC is being removed, as it was the worst aftermarket install I've seen.

I'll eagerly await the verdict of the inspection! ::)

"Ah yeah, I'll pass this when you replace the rear main oil seal, steering box, and the Y-Piece!". :o

I'll have some pics up when I get a chance.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

s class

haha I'm not sure if I should be offended, or congratulate you for realising the truth of the matter.....

....some of the stuff I see in our local club here defies belief. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

pompy

Yup, you'll find that every where  8)

TJ 450

I'm not sure about where the AC was installed, but it was just thrown in there with wiring and relays strewn all over the engine bay. It has a 1980s Sanden compressor, R12.

Something of note is that the front shocks, Made in South Africa, had cloth boots from new... Something I've never seen before. They lasted 250,000km and have now been changed to a set of Bilsteins.

Also, an original South African First Aid Kit, original unused spare wheel, tool kit in cloth bag still wrapped in plastic (made in South Africa), Bosal jack and books in Afrikaans all came with the car. 8)

The car was in Durban before it came to Australia.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

What is the tyre?  Probably Dunlop or Uniroyal?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

The tyre is a Dunlop, I noted that it has a pronounced ridge in the side wall around its circumference. I'll take some pics of all this stuff tomorrow.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Ah yes, I remember those.  They were popular on many cars here in the 80's.  The ridge was intended to help protect wheel caps against curbing damage. 

pompy

Very interesting stuff!
I wish I could find out where in Australia my 450 is from.

TJ 450

I fixed the park brake indicator light today, along with the windscreen washer, and the messy job of cleaning the sump of years of grime.

I punched the dents out by hand (the doors will be replaced/painted later, along with the bonnet and LHF fender. Another thing I did previously was fitting the rear muffler from the UK 280SE, which was fairly trouble free. The front brakes were swapped from the red car to cure a pulsing pedal issue, which was due to a rusty brake pad imprint on one of the front rotors.

The only issue that remains is an oil leak at the back of the engine that drips only after the car has been stopped after running. Hopefully this doesn't mean the car fails, because I think it is the rear main (cam box seems fine).

Aftermarket AC control removed, fan only bezel fitted, along with interior trim.

Aftermarket relays/wiring removed from engine bay among many other things.

The first Aid Kit

Spare and Tool Kit... Opening the bag was too much effort for the occasion I'm afraid. 8)

You can see some of the rust proofing around the boot wells, I hate that stuff as it seems to peel off leaving bare metal underneath it. It was the same on the "Ziebarted" car.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

That's a very nice original looking car.  Super interior condition. 

Big_Richard

oscar

Lookin good TJ, exciting stuff.  I've done the opposite, let the 350's rego lapse.  But I walked past the car other night and started it up for the first time in a month or so and backed it out, let it warm up and put it away again.  I've got three months before the rego automatically cancels and I reckon I'll find some w116 mojo before then. 

Couple of things, what scares me about letting the rego cancel is a front tranny seal leak that easily passes annual rego check but I reckon would fail a new rego inspection.  The leak's not critical, it's just there is all, probably similar to your rear main but for a new rego inspection they're fairly strict regarding leaks here (so I've heard).  I usually hit the AT and bell housing with high pressure water before an inspection but for a new rego inspection I think I'd have to do that plus throw dirt around the bell housing to hide any fresh leak. I'm sure the inspectors have seen every trick though.  I suppose clean it up and cross fingers, good luck.

That dunlop, one of mine had uniroyals made in France with the extra rubber on the wall.  Truck like tread but interesting shape to the wall.  If ever tyres needed them it'd be now as everything's 17 - 18" rims ex factory regardless of size of car and it doesn't take much to scrape em and ruin em. When I helped someone at work get tyres for their new Corolla recently we both got a shock at the prices.    What was so wrong with 14" ::)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard