News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Power window won't go all the way up or down, nasty grinding sound.

Started by Casey, 30 April 2011, 06:18 PM

koan

Quote from: Japes on 06 May 2011, 05:47 PM
Perhaps we're talking about different parts.

I was talking about the bottom right part in your third picture, doesn't look like a bit of broken casting to me.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Casey

After hunting 4 junk yards today, I finally found one W116 - a blue 1975 280SE.  I raided the two rear check straps, a replacement cast part for my driver door inner handle, driver-side trim pieces, and got one manual window regulator to experiment with.  Might go back for more when I get paid.

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: Raptelan on 07 May 2011, 05:42 PM
After hunting 4 junk yards today, I finally found one W116 - a blue 1975 280SE.  I raided the two rear check straps, a replacement cast part for my driver door inner handle, driver-side trim pieces, and got one manual window regulator to experiment with.  Might go back for more when I get paid.

Definitely get the rest of the manual regulators and the console shifter surround piece. In fact, I would pull any Euro-specific or parts in good condition that you can find, like the rear headrests with the mounting brackets (easily removable from the seat frame--get the grommets the headrests slide into on the skins as well). I've learned to not take nice junkyard parts for granted since I've passed on them before and then after the cars get crushed it seems it's a long time before anything else comes in. Also, I'd make a habit of always pulling heated seat parts for the W116 and early W123 cars because they are rare and can bring good money/trades.

Also be on the lookout for any W123 or older cars with 5 speed manual transmissions. I pulled one from a W123 for $70 and sold it a week later for $1,200.  You'd be surprised how rare some parts are and how much some people will pay for them!

I've got manual windows in my car, but the driver's side is getting sloppy and I am casually looking for one with little wear to replace it with.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Casey

Quote from: koan on 07 May 2011, 04:01 AM
Quote from: Japes on 06 May 2011, 05:47 PM
Perhaps we're talking about different parts.

I was talking about the bottom right part in your third picture, doesn't look like a bit of broken casting to me.

Does this picture help?

The pieces you reference are there, in the upper left this time, right next to where they *should* be, as part of the larger cast metal part.  With that broken, the bolt gets all the stress, and then eventually the whole strap falls apart, as mine did.  Mine also managed to rip out the nut that was screwed through the door frame, making the hole there bigger than it should be.  :(  I had to use a larger washer when fitting replacement part today.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

vlv8vic

Slightly different to where i expected too. Still a cast part right? Wonder what dodgy repair i can do here....... 8)

BWalker82

I had this similar problem (window) to the point that the fuse would blow every time I would let the window "up," which was never really up.  I lubed everything well in there whilst making a door handle swap and it *seems* to have helped dramatically.  It sucks your regulator broke; Those are pricey and a pain to change.

-BW

Casey

I finally uploaded a little video clip I made of the passenger side window problem, which is still the same except that I've got the window all the way up now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlT_yy5-b6c

jbrasile

Casey,

Sounds like you have some broken teeth on the regulator.

Tks,

Joe

calvin streeting

I agree with jbrasile, and going by the amount of teeth that travels, between grinding..

You have the holes already drilled to get motor out, so should be simple to check the motor.

calvin