News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Power Steering Pumps

Started by 1980sel, 18 December 2013, 01:38 AM

1980sel

Hi guys..I'm trying to figure out if my car has the correct power steering pump on it. I have a 1980 450sel US Fed and the pump on it is a vickers type 28...it's leaking and I need to try and get a reseal kit for it.

KenM

The manual suggests that you should have either Vickers pump type 27 (first version 116033) or Vickers type 49 for the second version, which I guess yours would be if its a 1980 model. You could also have a ZF pump but if you have a Vickers it should be the 49, anyone else have other info?

Hope this helps,

1980sel

Yeah that's my take on it as well...I'm not sure what the differences are between all of these pumps as the one I currently have has the correct pressure.

KenM

If you have a Benz part number on your pump I can check with the EPC whether you have the right one or not, could be a start. On the other hand, if the pump you have has been working ok then it must be worth repairing.

karmann_20v

On a related note, I noticed that autohausaz.com lists the same P/S pump P/N for a 1978 280SE (the car I bought for parts) and 1978 450 SEL (my resto project car). Not having the 2 cars in the same place it's hard to determine if the pump is the same. Could it be?

BTW, if my memory serves me correctly, both pumps on my cars are made by ZF.

Thanks!
Florin