News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Power Steering Gearbox

Started by OLDGOLD, 30 April 2019, 04:01 PM

OLDGOLD

Hooray! I took advice from a friend and bought a bottle of Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. After removing the PS filter, I used a turkey baster to remove all the fluid I could from the reservoir. I poured in the bottle and installed a new filter and what do you know?! No more groaning! The moaning was the worst when parking or turning at very low speeds, but not anymore! I wish I would've heard of this sooner.

I'll have to wait and see if the leak from the gearbox is fixed, but I'll check the level in a few days to see where it's at. Great success!

daantjie

Yup these Band-Aid fixes can sometimes work wonders and buy you many years of extension should you want to go the rebuild route later on.  Many folks despise these "snake oils" but I figure what the hell, if it's a high mileage part, and it buys you time, why not 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ptashek

Quote from: daantjie on 18 May 2019, 12:39 PM
Yup these Band-Aid fixes can sometimes work wonders and buy you many years of extension should you want to go the rebuild route later on.  Many folks despise these "snake oils" but I figure what the hell, if it's a high mileage part, and it buys you time, why not 8)

I've used this in my W124 with great success: https://products.liqui-moly.com/power-steering-oil-leak-stop-3.html

With 330kkm on the clock the tandem steering/SLS pump had a leak, mixing tiny amounts of SLS oil and ATF. A dose of this thing, followed by a system flush on both circuits, and there's no trace of any mixing anymore.

All it really does is replenish the plasticiser, making the seals swell a little, back / close enough to their nominal dimensions.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE