News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Pictorial - Rear End Rebuild - Part 8 - New Fuel lines and filter

Started by WGB, 06 March 2011, 12:57 AM

kastad

So as long as the fuel delivery is similar or higher than the D-jet specifications the pressure regulator will make sure that the injector pressure is fine?

bundy207

Hi guys... I am contacting you from Venezuela... My father got a w116 coming from Italy (350SE)... few years ago, someone put salt in the fuel tank, so, everything from fuel lines, pumps, filter, engine got rusted... recently we could find a used 350 engine and so many parts, but we have not gotten any luck regarding the steel fuel tanks that goes from rear end to the front end. Do you have any ideas which is the correct name for those (lines, hoses or pipes).  On the other hand, any ideas where to get them?

Regards,

Mario Torres
Venezuela

Type17

Typically, the words used to describe rigid metal ones are pipes (non-US english) or lines (US english), and the flexible rubber ones are usually called hoses.

If you can get a roll of rigid fuel line, you can shape it yourself to match the original rusty ones - it would be a lot cheaper than buying pre-shaped W116 ones, especially when you consider the shipping costs of such long, but fragile items.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Casey

Quote from: Kris P. on 08 March 2011, 06:11 PM
Hi guys, a quick query... I noticed you guys have a fuel accumulator installed in your car.  In my d-jet engine, i noticed that I don't have one installed.  What's the main function of the accumulator by the way?  Do I need one?

I figured this out recently myself as well - was hoping to use the accumulator from my '73 parts car to replace the one that I think is bad on my '79 - of course there isn't one on D-jet cars.  Also, the whole arrangement and specific components in that area is different on the D-jet models from the K-jets - I don't think any of the parts are interchangeable.

On the D-jets, you have a fuel filter on top, and fuel pump underneath - no banjo bolts just hose clamp fittings:

The damper cage has one input, one output:

On the K-jets:

The damper cage has an extra line coming off of it, I think the accumulator lives in front of the plastic shroud but am not very familiar with this arrangement yet.  What does the damper cage do and what is that extra line on the K-jets for?  I've also seen two versions of the accumulator on eBay - one with two lines and one with three:

Is there a copper washer that goes where the banjo bolt attaches to the fuel pump?  Because my '79 leaks a bit of fuel there.  I tightened up the bolt as much as I could and that stopped it from leaking as much.  The main line that comes from the tank to the damper cage is also leaking - I have a new one ordered along with a filter to put in there, but sadly have a full tank of gas right now and have had the car parked indoors out of the weather so it'll be a while before I get to it yet.

djetronicista

I used a fuel pump from a Jaguar XJ6 along with fuel filter got rid of special filter and hoses just needed fuel injection hose clamps.  Fuel filter is the same size  in diameter pump isnt.
Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 18 January 2012, 04:35 PM
K-jet and D-jet pumps are different. K-jet pumps are dirt cheap and very easy to obtain new, D-jet are worth a fortune and near impossible to find.

I have however heard of people installing fuel pumps from other random non MB, but efi vehicles similar in size & pressure to the DJet pump on Djet cars with no issue though. Obviously adapting the hoses will be necessary.
73 mbz 450 SE
78 XJ12 (6ltr from 94)
53 Desoto

hi ho

For the Djet guys looking for pumps

I have a Nissan pump running on mine. No issues with it.
Go to your local parts shop - get them to look up the pressure output of the merc pump then look up a
Nissan pump that has similar output figures.

The guy did it in one minute and I had a pump that does the job at less than half the price ($176.00 I think)

gf

Yep mines got a fuel pump off a commodore. The original pumps were approx 800 bucks from memory- thank god it was out of stock at the time!

oversize

1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P