News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Picked up a euro 6.9

Started by Wrighttbenz, 08 February 2016, 11:11 PM

Wrighttbenz

Yes it is true I found a 79 euro 6.9. The car has been in storage for 15 plus years na s in very good conditon.
I am in the process of draining all of the gas. I pulled the fuel pump assembly and ordered an new pump as a quick test showed this one was locked. Also all new hoses for the area and a tank screen are on the way. This car only has 60k miles on it spent the beginning of its life in Italy and came to the U.S. in the 80,s

I imagine it will also need some suspension work but I will wait until she is running to see where I am at with that.

Also if anyone has any idea where I could find someone to repair the blue velour cloth drivers seat bolster that would be helpful.. The rest of the interior is excellent other than sun fade on the parcel shelf.

Pics coming soon

Any other advice on getting her going again is appreciated.

daantjie

Nice save!

I am a big proponent of also changing out all ignition related components right off the bat.  Plugs, wires, coil, rotor and cap, as well as the 2 ballast resistors.

Of course you want an oil change too, change to good 15W-40, Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo are good ones.  Also coolant, Zerex G-05 is a good one.  You do not need the stupid expensive Benz coolant.

Before you fire her up make sure the gas runs clear at the fuel distributor before you hook it up.  Check all vacuum connections and hoses, brittle by now and it can cause havoc on idle and general runability.

Suspension is a whole other ball game 8)
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: daantjie on 08 February 2016, 11:31 PM
Nice save!

I am a big proponent of also changing out all ignition related components right off the bat.  Plugs, wires, coil, rotor and cap, as well as the 2 ballast resistors.

Of course you want an oil change too, change to good 15W-40, Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo are good ones.  Also coolant, Zerex G-05 is a good one.  You do not need the stupid expensive Benz coolant.

Before you fire her up make sure the gas runs clear at the fuel distributor before you hook it up.  Check all vacuum connections and hoses, brittle by now and it can cause havoc on idle and general runability.

Suspension is a whole other ball game 8)

Good idea on the ignition parts you know they are going to need to be renewed so why not,just do it.
I am sure the vacuum lines are ready to fall apart but I will probably get her started first then start sorting out the odds and ends. I wish someone would sell vacuum hose kits for,these cars. There are so many different bits it drives me nuts trying o,sort all of the parts.

rumb

Welcome to the club! First get the engine going and then work on your suspension. 

Oh yeah, post some pictures!
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rumb

My car sat for 15 years or so before I got it.  I'm 6 months in and haven't started it yet. There are a lot things to take care of.  I'm pretty meticulous though and am restoring a lot of mechanical things and the entire engine compartment and front wheel wells before I can even start the engine. I suppose I could have just gotten engine running first and then moved on, but what's the fun in that.....I've purchased about 375 individual parts so far, many are rubber parts.

Keep us posted of your journey.

Oh yeah, you can get fabric here
http://www.cabrio.de/khm/en/meterage-upholstery
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: rumb on 09 February 2016, 08:21 AM
Welcome to the club! First get the engine going and then work on your suspension. 

Oh yeah, post some pictures!

Good advice thanks.

Wrighttbenz

So I am still in the process of cleaning up the gas tank and rebuilding the fuel pump assembly with new hoses and filters and such.

I am not planning to replace the accumulator just yet. Thought I would wait and see if it is needed. If someone has more experience with this piece please chime in. It doesn't seem like a part that will keep the car from running so I figured it could wait and maybe I get lucky.

revilla

Hi.  I had to replaced my accumulator once.  it's a critical piece of the system.  car will run no problem with a leaking accumulator, but cold/hot starts become a real pain!!!  it took me a while before I narrowed down the issue.  I don't have a lot of tools where I'm now, so I always have to resource to home-made pragmatic solutions.  this process I like because allows me to first learn how the system works and what each piece does.  anyways, I took the accumulator out, empty it.  using fuel hose/clamps/manometer/foot air pump I built a tester.  put pressure in one side of accum.  it was leaking.  but leak was small so I have to keep an eye on manometer for few minutes.  typical failure mode on these things is broken diaphragm.  spring is strong so unlikely to deteriorate in strength after the years.  but welded joints can corrode too and leak, but in this case you'll have/see fuel coming out.

I changed the leaking accum (sorry, they can't be fixed) and voila !!!  perfect cold/hot starts was the reward. 

yes, test yours and change it if broken since you're already in that area of work. bad news is they are pricey (110EUR) Bosch

Hope it helps.   

ps: I lived 12 years outside Chicago.  say hello for me.  :)  Still own the house, now rented. I miss that city and my garage there where I had space to work on hobbies

Wrighttbenz

Quote from: revilla on 20 February 2016, 02:36 AM
Hi.  I had to replaced my accumulator once.  it's a critical piece of the system.  car will run no problem with a leaking accumulator, but cold/hot starts become a real pain!!!  it took me a while before I narrowed down the issue.  I don't have a lot of tools where I'm now, so I always have to resource to home-made pragmatic solutions.  this process I like because allows me to first learn how the system works and what each piece does.  anyways, I took the accumulator out, empty it.  using fuel hose/clamps/manometer/foot air pump I built a tester.  put pressure in one side of accum.  it was leaking.  but leak was small so I have to keep an eye on manometer for few minutes.  typical failure mode on these things is broken diaphragm.  spring is strong so unlikely to deteriorate in strength after the years.  but welded joints can corrode too and leak, but in this case you'll have/see fuel coming out.

I changed the leaking accum (sorry, they can't be fixed) and voila !!!  perfect cold/hot starts was the reward. 

yes, test yours and change it if broken since you're already in that area of work. bad news is they are pricey (110EUR) Bosch

Hope it helps.   

ps: I lived 12 years outside Chicago.  say hello for me.  :)  Still own the house, now rented. I miss that city and my garage there where I had space to work on hobbies

Right. This is what I was thinking. If I get the car going and I have trouble with re-starts I can always change the accumulator.

I live in the western suburbs myself. Downtown Chicago is great I try and get down there as much as I can. It is a great area to live.