News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Overheating - Cooling System Upgrade?

Started by Mattr, 13 June 2020, 01:53 PM

Mattr

Hey Folks,

My SWB 6.9 got stuck in about an hour of stop-and-go traffic last summer, and I wound up having to pull over and idle down the shoulder to keep it from overheating. This isn't a real critical priority, but I was thinking that after I've the car back running and driving, I want to spend the winter dialing in the cooling system so I can get stuck in stop-and-go traffic (back ups like that are somewhat common through certain routes here) and not fear overheating.

I found this thread, but the user who posted it has no account, and there's zero info as to who built the radiator. Would anyone happen to know who made the radiator, or if this person is still around?
https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/6-9-cooling-system-upgrade/msg49248/#msg49248
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333

Taha

Hi,

If you have a good radiator and water pump, it's not a bad idea to install a high cfm electric fan behind your radiator if you have enough space.
1978 280S

TJ 450

I'm familiar with Big Richard's car as I was looking after it for a while.

In theory, the custom radiator may have been a good idea, but there was no shroud so the car still ran hot.

The stock radiator and cooling system setup when in proper condition should be able to handle just about any condition. I've driven mine in 40+ Celsius with A/C running and it still copes.

I would have the radiator re-cored if old and ensure the fan clutch is engaged when the car is running hot along with the usual checks.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Mattr

Quote from: TJ 450 on 15 June 2020, 11:39 PM
I'm familiar with Big Richard's car as I was looking after it for a while.

In theory, the custom radiator may have been a good idea, but there was no shroud so the car still ran hot.

The stock radiator and cooling system setup when in proper condition should be able to handle just about any condition. I've driven mine in 40+ Celsius with A/C running and it still copes.

I would have the radiator re-cored if old and ensure the fan clutch is engaged when the car is running hot along with the usual checks.

Tim

Now that you mention it, I don't think there's a fan shroud on my car...

The temperature it overheated in was a 90F degree day, with at least 50% humidity. I might pull the radiator, at some point, and see about having it re-cored. It's likely fully original, so who knows if everything is flowing through it properly.
1976 450SE 6.9 FrankenBenz (#2288?)
1977 450SEL 6.9 #2333