News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Out with D-jet and in with Megasquirt

Started by Denis, 10 May 2006, 11:03 AM

Denis

Hi s class and all

Just reporting for those interested. It's all more work than expected and I am a QA nut so taking my time is NOT an issue - get it right is the goal.

I built the Megasquirt ECU but am now building the "test bench" - there is no point in fitting something to a car that does not work correctly on a simulator.

The Megasquirt people offer a "stimulator" (engine simulator) that plugs into the Megasquirt with a DB-37 (computer) connector.

I have gone one further "D-jet conversion" step ahead and built my own "stimulator with a connector to the 25 pin Bosch D-jet ECU. This allows reuse of this connector and casing into which the Megasquirt will be housed - stealth it is going to be  ;D

When all is done, I will be able to offer a complete step-by-step approach to converting the early 280/380/450 cars to modern laptop computer programmable DFI.

Au revoir

Denis

Paris, France

merro450sel

Hi Denis....step by step guide sounds great, 11.5/100km sounds even better! and 30% more power apparently! I await your results with baited breath. Thanks for replying to my post " jetronic " I suspected I had the d-jet. would I be wrong to assume that its an "simpler" conversion to modern efi than k-jet?

best of luck.... :o

Denis

Hi

Having a car with D-jet and wishing to go to MS is better than having K-jet. You already have the correct type of injectors and the wiring harness going to the D-jet ECU is directly reusable. The D-jet MPS and the distributor trigger contacts (expensive parts that fail) must be disabled or removed  ;D

In addition, some extra wiring is needed but nothing very complicated.

More to come as I get the results. I am currently hacking at making a good physical installation in a D-jet ECU casing.

I am always skeptical about power increases but the ability to seriously map fuel delivery to precise engine conditions, along with the ability to adjust ignition timing with the MS should result in some noticeable power increase. While I will not be doing it (a blatant illegal modification in France), the idea of a bigger throttle body then makes sense to me.

30% in my case would mean a 260HP (DIN) engine and a 350SE that could outacelerate a 6.9 - I do not think this to be plausible  ::)

Did you fellows know that the D-jet injectors on an M116/117 are good for 400 hp  :o they are BIG...

Denis

Paris, France

dudu

Wow... all of this sounds promising.

I am now fighting with my D components trying to figure out what in the hell happens with it. May be vacuum leaks due to some microscopic pore, trigger contacts.. or.. may be... that, sometimes, i own two "left hands" ( if translates ).

Waiting for some news from your really interesting post.

Regards.

alabbasi

Any new word on this? I would love to hear a sucess story on this as I thought about it when I was rebuilding my 280SEL 4.5
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

alabbasi

No problem, just thought I would ask as it certainly was an interesting one.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.