News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Out of curiosity....

Started by chrismsullivan, 05 September 2011, 01:47 AM

koan

Just looked for cross-section of the AAV again, no luck but I have it somewhere. Very much like the K-jet one on benzworld here except it shows the bulb in cross-section as well.

Bulb has a plate with what looks like a blunt nail and o-ring in it, the nail head pushes up on the piston, not like the lock nutted rod in the benzworld picture.

The guy who opened his up said it contained liquid not wax as he had been told.

Waxes are long hydrocarbon molecules, liquid hydrocarbons like petrol are shorter and gases like methane are very short. What might happen is after thousands of heat/cool  cycles the long wax molecules breakup in to liquid sized molecules and that's what he found.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

scraf

Quote from: koan on 06 September 2011, 06:24 PM
I've tried to get K-Jet units apart, heaved and pulled on them with various tools but no success, maybe something that clamps round the top like a collet in a collet chuck would do the job. The chucks and collets I have for the forthcoming milling adventure are not big enough.

Just found this on YouTube ( apologies for bumping an old thread, but I'm researching the whole AAV thing )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBGpX9hETc

Tony66_au

Right.................

I did this a while ago (Refurbed a D jet AAV) and theres a bit more to it that plonking it in boiling water....

First up, A D jet AAV does not fully close as there is a small cut out that prevents it from sealing off completely.

Pinch the hose shut on a D jet and the car dies.

Do this on a K jet and it runs fine because there is a small vac line that runs from the AAV hose.

I found the thread I did on TK and im copying it here for your reference.

Tony66_au

Big_Richard

Thats the most original use for a meat probe i've ever seen, well done.  8)

Tony66_au

Ta MT.

I have a thermo couple probe but the displays a bugger to photograph and because of the international nature of these forums (For which I created the pics) I figured it wouldn't hurt to have something that uses both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Id also like to add that these AAV's are fairly substantial as a heatsink and as most kettles dont actually bring water to 100 Celsius id consider microwaving the water, dunking the AAV base in the water until it heats up and then checking and possibly reheating the water again as it does drop in temp significantly.

Also I have conflicting reports on the closed temperature of the AAV when functional and my theory is that some may open for different temps due to climate variations in the marketplace in the same manner as Mercedes have tropical spec cars etc.

That said 66 degrees Celsius seems a good middle ground for D jet cars operating outside the Arctic circle.