News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Original Style W116 Battery

Started by carl888, 20 February 2008, 05:07 AM

carl888

Quote from: arman on 20 February 2008, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Look at my 450 SEL engine bay: http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/Armans450sel/DSCN0714.JPG/

This is the size of battery which is original for the 450 sel in cold wintertime countries: a 88Ah. If you look closely you see it's (probably) identical to Bill's genuine battery. I had a white one earlier which I destroyed by leaving it in the car during its winter hibernation. I like this black one though together with my black car. The white ones tend to get greasy and dusty after a while (which the black one does too of course but not as visible).

It was expensive yes: about 90 euros. Every winter I take the battery out and connect it to an intelligent charger to prolong its lifecycle.

I have an English manual and a Swedish. In the English manual the standard battery for 450SE/SEL is 66Ah in the Swedish it says 88Ah. Different specs for different countries...

Thanks Arman,

That is one beautiful car you have!

Regards,

Carl.

500eguy

i am running a optima in my 450... it seems to be doing the job, but i wish my engine bay looked that clean!

carl888

Picked up the new battery today, yippeee!.  It's not quite the same as the one in the W116 brochure pic however it is white, and it is the same size despite not having the yellow top caps............but it's close:

Regards,

Carl.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I see you bought a genuine one - don't they look great.

Bill

carl888

Hi Bill, Koan and Michel,

Yes, the battery is looking good   ;D

I will answer all your questions after Sunday   :D

Regards,

Carl.

koan

Quote from: Carl Jones on 27 February 2008, 05:01 AM

I will answer all your questions after Sunday   :D

I don't know if can wait that long, it's three sleeps.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

carl888

OK guys, it's time to come clean about the battery   ;D ;D ;D

Here is a pic of the battery when I picked it up:

This is a pic of of the battery after the amazing transformation (And after I ripped off a MB sticker I founds on a dead MB battery where I bought it):

I think there will be a few annoyed people tomorrow after calling their dealer, a lot of pics were taken of that battery today by passers by.......   :D

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

Whoops,

$143 inc GST,

Arial Batteries, Smith Street Collingwood, Victoria.

floyd111

Quote from: WGB on 20 February 2008, 05:27 AM
It doesn't have red caps but it is white and it is covered in Mercedes-Benz stickers and will fit a V8 and probably a six.

I purchased a new battery last year from the main agent for my wife's 2002 163 ML 270CDI and it is a perfect fit for the 116 tray and leads. I am still using the old one in my 450 and it is functioning perfectly.

At about $200 it is also very reasonably priced and dresses up a 116 bay very nicely.

Here is the link Genuine M-B Battery

Bill

That link for the battery did not work..

floyd111

That is an awesome hat-trick you pulled on that look-alike battery! Could have fooled me anytime!
Where did you find that MB sticker?
(wait till you see how I bring the center console VDO 70A ammeter back into production)

I already read that different countries had different specs for batteries
I would also want OEM batteries in my cars, and as much as I like your under-the-hood pictures from back in the day.. I sure dislike the smaller battery on the large battery tray. My symmetric OCD just won't allow it.

Even though my trailer queen will most likely never get to see Concourse panel of judges, I would still not want to get it wrong.
So, the question is.. if someone would buy a 280SEL back in the day, with electric seat heaters, retractable rear seat, phone, fridge and a Webasto, would he/she not be provided with a large battery from MB to deal with the amps required?

And second.. What does today's MB-supplied battery look like when bought from the dealers? Do they offer choices in looks/brands, with an MB sticker?
Can anyone tell whether the late euro M110 is supposed to have a Varta MB or a Bosch MB battery?
Or, are the producers of these batteries not listed on the batteries sold by MB?

ptashek

Way to revive a slumbering zombie post Stan ;)

Larger capacity battery was a factory option,  and always listed on the data card when installed. I think it was mostly a 6.9 and 300SD thing as standard, but you could pick it for either model.

It's the only battery you will get from MB these days -  74Ah. It's devoid of any manufacturer specific markings and rebranded MB all over, with a holographic sticker on the front face.

Looks like so in the engine bay:

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Just replaced the battery in the Viano which was the larger capacity but different from yours in that it had a much smaller MB sticker and was made by Varta. Considering replacing the battery in the 116 which is the 66Ah and only fills about two thirds of the battery tray but quite liked the look of the Bosch batteries. All my tech data says that the car was fitted with the 66Ah as standard.

By the way the car looks great after all your efforts but not planning to fit the bonnet liner?
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 28 August 2016, 11:20 AM
By the way the car looks great after all your efforts but not planning to fit the bonnet liner?

Oh, that was weeks before it was finished. It's all there now, and cleaned up properly :)

The 66Ah battery part number is NLA, and was replaced by the 74Ah for all models.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

OK.. silly question maybe, but a 74Ah battery, when measured with an ammeter, engine running, and engine off.. Would the ammeter always read 74ah? What about the alternator in a W116? Was that one designed to even charge up to 74ah, or is that only related to voltage?