News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Option list W116 - The full Monty!

Started by floyd111, 30 August 2015, 07:18 AM

tcj

(doublette)

Guillaume C

Quote from: Casey on 03 December 2015, 10:00 AM
That weird stalk thing coming up on the right side of the wheel - no idea what that is but it's certainly not OEM.  Same for the wired thing sitting to the right of the shifter.

You're right, it's not OEM Becker option. It's Blaupunkt Berlin radio.

Not OEM but the most expensive car radio in the late 70's.

tcj

Hi Floyd,

QuoteReclining seats.. now those I would like to retrofit.. Guess it would mean getting a completely different rear seat, eh?

adjustable rear seat: try it here and expect to do some serious welding:
http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/w116,-450sel-6-9,-el-ruecksitzbank-zum-nachruesten/235659452-223-8646

My 6.9 also has an adjustable rear seat, when  he arrives at home in a few weeks I can provide details and photos if you really wish
to retrofit it.

QuoteThe "suitcase" brochure does not mention these cases are W116. It is merely a brand comparison speech about the size of the W116 trunk. I still have not seen proof W116 ever had factory suitcases available.
no, the suitcases shown in the photo are correct.
I do have such a set, I have described it here:
http://forum.mercedesclub.de/index.php/Thread/15041-Prospekte-gesucht-von-Koffersets-für-W110-W111-W108-etc/?pageNo=2
Additionally the user M.Wolff shows the german price list for the w116 which mentions the suitcases ("Koffersatz") available to the W116. The covering ("Kofferbezug") is not leather but synthetics "Kunststoff sourana schwarz"

best regards,
Thomas
[/quote]

floyd111

Yes, I WOULD love such seats, and in the face of the gigantic job I have undertaken, this one really doesn't worry me. I am already way in over my head, so who cares.
Does GAHH offer covers for the reclining seats?
Will the regular W116 horse hair seat pads fit?

floyd111

..but after shopping for gorgeous leather vintage suitcase sets for the last 48 hours, these original skai cases really look depressing to me.
Still, good to see yet another mystery solved, I guess. W116 DID have factory suitcases.

Now, back to those reclining seats.
I sure hope someone can give me a break on the price of such a kit..

tcj

Hi Floyd,

QuoteDoes GAHH offer covers for the reclining seats?

you will find velour-cover here:
http://www.steenbuck-web.de/mercedes_polstervelour_wollvelour.htm

QuoteWill the regular W116 horse hair seat pads fit?
no, it is another shape.

QuoteI sure hope someone can give me a break on the price of such a kit..
just look at the price shown in this ad: EUR 600.
And make sure you have a SEL, the adjustable rear seat will not suit a short W116.
http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/w116,-450sel-6-9,-el-ruecksitzbank-zum-nachruesten/235659452-223-8646

floyd111

oooooooooohh..no SEL. Maybe a smaller gas tank? Haha!
Ah well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.
What does one do if the seat pads are old with reclining seats? It's already difficult enough finding new regular seat pads.
And, my cars will have no velours, I am afraid. But I will check your contact. Maybe it's still possible. It can't be more expensive then new Bambus leather?

ptashek

Quote from: Guillaume C on 03 December 2015, 02:15 PM
You're right, it's not OEM Becker option. It's Blaupunkt Berlin radio.
Not OEM but the most expensive car radio in the late 70's.

Indeed. I was quite certain I've seen it as an option in an official price list, but I stand corrected.
One less thing for Stan to buy then :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Casey

Quote from: floyd111 on 03 December 2015, 01:54 PM
Reclining seats.. now those I would like to retrofit.. Guess it would mean getting a completely different rear seat, eh?
Casey? Can you provide?

Hahaha, no!  It is *the* reason I bought the euro 6.9 I did, and tried to buy a second one.  You'll have a tough time finding a car with them!  I don't have any idea how many cars were made with them, but not many.  Not only is all the rear seat hardware different (including the seat skins), but the metal underneath the seat is different to accommodate the motor, etc. plus you have to worry about the wiring.  If you want the option you pretty much need to find a car that has it already.  It is a wonderful option though!

I am pretty sure GAHH will make skins for the seats, and probably pads too.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't be fitted to a short wheelbase car - you would just have 10cm less leg room.  It does not move forward *that* much though, so unless the front seats were far back, it should work, no?  However, as said above you are much better off just buying a car that has it already.

ptashek

Quote from: tcj on 03 December 2015, 02:38 PM
you will find velour-cover here:
http://www.steenbuck-web.de/mercedes_polstervelour_wollvelour.htm

Good luck in dealing with those guys. Never responded to emails, and when my restorer eventually got through over the phone turns out they don't have stock.
Oh, and they only deal with workshops in wholesale quantities and don't ship outside of Europe. I've yet to see a business less interested in actually selling anything.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Quote from: Casey on 03 December 2015, 04:28 PM
Reclining seats.. now those I would like to retrofit.. Guess it would mean getting a completely different rear seat, eh?
Casey? Can you provide?

Hahaha, no!  It is *the* reason I bought the euro 6.9 I did, and tried to buy a second one.  You'll have a tough time finding a car with them!  I don't have any idea how many cars were made with them, but not many.  Not only is all the rear seat hardware different (including the seat skins), but the metal underneath the seat is different to accommodate the motor, etc. plus you have to worry about the wiring.  If you want the option you pretty much need to find a car that has it already.  It is a wonderful option though!

I am pretty sure GAHH will make skins for the seats, and probably pads too.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't be fitted to a short wheelbase car - you would just have 10cm less leg room.  It does not move forward *that* much though, so unless the front seats were far back, it should work, no?  However, as said above you are much better off just buying a car that has it already.

Reclining rear seat is a very rare option.  Heated seats fairly common but not the reclining rear bench.  Cool but much of a muchness IMHO.  Just one more thing to break and cause a dent in the ol' wallet :o
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Casey

And now I need to go flog my zebrano shift sticks on eBay. Good thing they're still in the box and bought at a good discount..

I would possibly be interested in them...

floyd111

I'll look it up and see what I paid. I remember they weren't expensive, since I bought a whole batch of stuff from Eris Design, and they shipped even cheaper. I'll still sell below cost if I can sell one of them. The second car I am doing will be my daily driver, and only a 99% dogmatic original. If the stick looks good when all is done, I'll have it.
Rumb will have to live with the horror of that reality ;D

I can't be losing 10CM of leg space in the back, and the seat pad thing is a big issue, believe me. GAHH, UPH and a pair of German and Dutch companies all have none, with no expected ETA.
MB just released a small batch of them, and when these are gone...well.
I would be highly worried having such a rare rear seat and no pads or covers available.

For audio, I am pretty much sorted.
Even though I am still pondering on the external Becker cassette thing, I have 3 of those Beckers in the warehouse, one apparently brand new with (almost) matching papers, one simply mint, and one Becker TG that was a slim fit for a Porsche 356 and MG. Need to sell that one, silly me.
Even though the Becker system will function perfectly, a secondary invisible system of headset, multiple amps and speakers will be doing the actual work. Pioneer DEX-P99, JL Audio bass and amps, Focals
That said, I totally understand the Blaupunkt Berlin thing..

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Casey

Quote from: floyd111 on 03 December 2015, 09:26 PM
MB just released a small batch of them, and when these are gone...well.

Where can I order these and for how much?

QuoteI would be highly worried having such a rare rear seat and no pads or covers available.

Well any good uphosterer can make copy seat skins.  I believe reproduction pads should not be too difficult to make either, though I have not looked for a company which can make custom horsehair pads.  It should be pretty straightforward as I believe they should be easy to make.  I have also had a car which had custom pads done by an upholsterer - a thin closed cell foam bottom layer, and a softer open cell foam upper layer, with the skins over that.  It sounds cheap but actually felt very nice to sit on and the pieces were cut very carefully for a perfect fit.  The seat still felt very original because of the the metal spring design under the pads.  I won't do that as long as I can still get horsehair pads, but if they should become unavailable, I would.

QuoteEven though the Becker system will function perfectly, a secondary invisible system of headset, multiple amps and speakers will be doing the actual work. Pioneer DEX-P99, JL Audio bass and amps, Focals

Just please don't do some of the atrocities that have been done to some of my cars - the euro 6.9 has a subwoofer mounted in the center of the rear dash and speakers mounted into the doors, meaning the panels and metal have been cut to accommodate this.  I have seen other W116's with cut door metal and panels, and it is just sad.  I will likely be replacing all four doors on mine and finding somebody to weld a patch in to the back metal.  In addition the car has an amp bolted to the floor of the trunk - the bolts go *THROUGH* the trunk liner rubber mat and carpet, which aren't even lined up properly.  So I will have to have that removed (not easy, because the bolt heads are underneath the amp which is locked into a solid metal bolted-on base and I don't have the key), the holes patched, and the trunk liner and carpet replaced.  All in all a lot of work but it's worth it to me to do for the reclining rear seat.

I'd rather just put in a radio blank plate than have this sort of sloppy destructive crap done to a car.