News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Option list W116 - The full Monty!

Started by floyd111, 30 August 2015, 07:18 AM

floyd111

Is the Hirschmann Hit Auta 8900S an original antenna for the W116? Seen them in 280CE..

Casey

Quote from: ptashek on 01 September 2015, 07:24 AM
Quote from: Peter on 31 August 2015, 05:00 PM
Now that explains why I have my antenna at the front of the car - I wonder how much that cost. :-\

I think this actually changed at some point of production.
Maybe it was even model dependant?

My (now scrapped) 350SE had the antenna on its front-right wing. The 450SE has it on the rear-left.
Both were stock, factory delivered Hirschmann motorised units.

The front antenna was standard in 1973 and 1974.  1977 and later all had the rear antenna.  Not certain about 1975 or 1976 as I haven't owned one of those.  I think the 1973 style persisted until 1976 though - this includes many other things, like the seat belts, steering column/wheel spline size, cruise control on the dash versus a stalk, windshield washer operated by foot pedal versus the stalk, horizontal rear defroster lines versus nearly-invisible vertical defroster wires between the layers of glass, dash with speakers underneath versus on top, lots of little interior differences, etc.  As a general rule, I prefer the older style though there are notable exceptions such as the antenna, seat belts, and rear defroster.

1973 450's, at least in America, are the most powerful at 200hp as they had no requirement for emission controls.  1973 American cars also got "rest-of-the-world"-like bumpers - they are identical metal to the euros with the addition of two rubber knobs on each, smaller than the newer American style.  1973 was the only year to get a stepped contour on the dash wood - all later years were flat.  If I remember correctly, 1973 was the only year in which Ebony dash wood was available as well.

Whether in the front or the back, there are 3 distinct TYPES of Antennas in W116's.  Mechanical manual, electrically-operated manual, and automatic with manual adjustment capability.

I just junked a 1977 450SEL that had TWO rear Hirshmann antennas, one on either side of the trunk.  The one on the right was added by a previous owner post-production, for what reason I cannot say.

floyd111

floyd111

old  one

floyd111

more pics

floyd111

and these

floyd111

and this

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Casey

This is from a car that I tried to purchase - made a deposit on it but then the seller changed his mind and refunded me:

Note the hazard switch moved to the upper right, next to the seat heater switches:

Also, rear reclining seat:

Casey

On the bright side, I have another car with the rear reclining seats:

I have NO IDEA what this is:

Or this:

Casey

Casey

Quote from: floyd111 on 02 December 2015, 09:12 PM

That is an early prototype steering wheel, I think only on a handful of 1972 or maybe 1973 cars.  However the wiper stalk is a late model from the late 70's that doesn't match.  Nor does the later-style flat dash wood.  Zebrano center console pieces did not exist until later years either.  Similarly, this has velour carpet trim under the dash, which did not exist in the early years.  The zebrano shifter was not offered by Mercedes - it is an aftermarket option.  That weird stalk thing coming up on the right side of the wheel - no idea what that is but it's certainly not OEM.  Same for the wired thing sitting to the right of the shifter.  The carpets are also aftermarket.

Hard to guess about the phone but this looks like a late-model W116 that somebody stuck an early prototype wheel and aftermarket shifter knob into.  One with no air conditioning.

Early vs. late stalks:

ptashek

Quote from: Casey on 03 December 2015, 10:00 AMThat weird stalk thing coming up on the right side of the wheel - no idea what that is but it's certainly not OEM.  Same for the wired thing sitting to the right of the shifter.

Both are OEM. It's an add-on to the original Becker audio system. Basically, a dictaphone.
The thing beside the steering wheel is the control unit, and the one beside the shifter is the wired microphone.

It's an extremely rare option.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Casey

Quote from: ptashek on 03 December 2015, 10:09 AM
Both are OEM. It's an add-on to the original Becker audio system. Basically, a dictaphone.
The thing beside the steering wheel is the control unit, and the one beside the shifter is the wired microphone.

It's an extremely rare option.

Ah, my mistake, what is the purpose of this contraption?  In any case the car pictured as a whole is not in OEM condition.

floyd111

Just when I thought I was getting to the end of my option list! Now I need to go find a dictaphone.. ;D

Ampere and Volt meters? Even though one is VDO, they don't look stock to me. Would Benz not choose identical looking gauges?

Reclining seats.. now those I would like to retrofit.. Guess it would mean getting a completely different rear seat, eh?
Casey? Can you provide?

And now I need to go flog my zebrano shift sticks on eBay. Good thing they're still in the box and bought at a good discount..

The "suitcase" brochure does not mention these cases are W116. It is merely a brand comparison speech about the size of the W116 trunk. I still have not seen proof W116 ever had factory suitcases available. I been shopping for era-exact sets in leather instead.