News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Option list W116 - The full Monty!

Started by floyd111, 30 August 2015, 07:18 AM

Jed

I also that it was odd having the black bezel next to the chromed bezel....
but I also suspect it is original.  my 76 6.9 has the same set up.\\
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

floyd111

There may have been a life-span replacement issue, or maybe it was indeed a Benz-supplied matter.
However, it is very odd that the amp meter is a MB-numbered VDO, and the outside temp-meter has no such number, and is readily available in the same version as the VDO Cockpit.-aftermarket
At the same time, the R107 HAS a MB-numbered amp meter, that fits era, bezel and diameter.

floyd111

This one.. Original MB

floyd111

btw..the rubber ring comes off, it's just a protection for the bezel. It'll end up looking like to one we know.

floyd111

If you thought that the becker car phone was a bit bulky.. have a look at what it looked like in older cars:

floyd111

Quote from: tcj on 07 December 2015, 04:00 AM
Hi Floyd,

this is where these go. But I do not know for which trunk yours was build.
Is it your trunk box? Tried to put it in the trunk of your 116?

Thomas

Just found out these tubs WERE MB-factory supplied, for W123. Not sure about W116 yet.

floyd111

Quote from: tcj on 04 February 2016, 01:27 PM
Hi Stan,

may I disagree?
My 6.9 has an outside temperature gauge from factory. And it looks like the one in your photo:
black bezel, red "0".
When I take it out I can see the date this gauge was made: a month before my 116 was delivered.
So I am quite sure my gauge was never replaced. So it should be a genuine mercedes part.

Thomas

You say your temp gauge has a part number?
What's the number?
And, while you're at it.. PLEASE check the Ammeter for a part number as well!

floyd111

The gauges-mystery continues..
By now, i have found out 2 things:
-The Ammeters we speak of still do not have a part number I could trace. They ARE 70A-0-70A, and rare as can be.
There seems to be only 1 model, 60MM, black face,chrome bezel.
I was wondering whether these were uniquely supplied with people with car phones, as part of a Tekade pakage.
Looks like that is not a correct assumption.
-The ext temp meter has always been available in 52 and 60MM, aftermarket
-If you check this link: http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/articles/500E_Mercedes_Classic_Feb-2010.pdf
..you find a report on a 6.9 that was sold, even though it was some form of a prototype, equipped with (non-available/non listed) seat belt un-tensioners and our 2 gauges.
This means that the "red 0" 60MM aftermarket VDO was clearly a factory install, at least in the very beginning, maybe longer.
Somewhere between 1977 (the date of that W116 prototype) and 1989 (ending R107), Mercedes stopped using the "red 0 VDO, black bezel" and decided to develop/order a special mercedes-only VDO with white 0 and and black bezel.
Question is when that was.

I also found out that the temp meters always seem to have had  a black bezel, as far as the few available photos go.
I only found 1 photo where the bezel is in chrome, but there's still a chance that that was black painted, peeled off. I've seen others where that was clearly the case..
I also saw a photo where the 0 seems to be in white (with a black bezel) Regrettably, not a convincing photo quality.
But, the bezels at VDO are always interchangable between black and chrome, available cheaply.
The bezel color may just have been a non-issue for MB at the time.
Still...2 MB gauges with 2 colors bezels. It clearly happened, but how is it possible they didn't care?

Hopefully Thomas can clear this up. He has both gauges, and thus the part numbers.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 23 March 2016, 02:59 AM
Still...2 MB gauges with 2 colors bezels. It clearly happened, but how is it possible they didn't care?

Low volume, very rare and special order non-listed option => just not worth the manufacturing/engineering expense?
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

tcj

Hello Stan,

sorry - only the temp gauge in my car, no amp gauge. Jed was the one with both dials.
And no Mercedes-part number on it - just this embossed number:

314.264/4/1   12V     10/77

And a typical VDO-Stamp  "723 11/77"

Another date: I have a photo of another temp gauge (also black bezel) with embossed and printed Date 1.79.

Thomas

Jed

Ill check tomorrow afternoon when i plan on getting back to the garage....havnt been there in a week...i think i am going into withdrawal
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

floyd111

In the meantime, some interesting option-photos:

floyd111

Notice the ashtray elevation in photo 1?
What's the story there? Anyone seen this before?

floyd111

And then there were these

floyd111

Anyways..back to the gauges..