News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Opinion - Rear headrests as an installed "option" on a 450 SEL

Started by John Hubertz, 06 February 2006, 10:39 PM

John Hubertz

Hi all...

I've located the parts necessary to add rear headrests to my 450 SEL from a 6.9 enthusiast. 

Two questions:

1.  Opinions on the "look" of them.  What is your opinion on whether they improve the appearance of the car.

2.  Opinions on negatively impacting the car's eventual resale.  They will be as correct as they can be, with the only non-benz parts being the world upholstery parchment covers in matching leather.  Do you think the next owner will dislike a non-standard optional accessory?  Also, does anyone know of any standard 450 SELs that were sold new with factory or dealer-installed rear headrests other than 6.9s?

3.  Any of you 6.9ers have an opinion on how bad it becomes backing the vehicle?  I know that the 560SEL I had last year had a panic button on the dash that dropped both rear rests with a loud ooomph.....  fun with passengers on board! 

My car does have the optional passenger side view mirror.

John

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Mforcer

Rear headrests? Who needs them? ;D I don't have rear head rests in my 450SE.

Head rests are a good dafety feature for the rear passengers but otherwise I do not understand why anyone would install them. I also don't understand why people want a long wheel-base when the person buying the car is not going to ever* benefit from the extra length.

MB must have thought rear head rests would obscure the drivers rear view enough to make them collapsable on subsequent models.

As for installing a non-original part, just ask yourself what would it cost to return everything to original? Just a new back cushion? If I make any non-original change to my car I just make sure it is easy to return to factory spec.

* while the car is moving ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

AMG69

I very much doubt any future owner will add / deduct any value for you having installed rear headrests - thats just my personal view; the fact is you are installing an original MB part that was an option on that car anyway - so, I'd say go ahead! In Australia rear headrests were standard on 450SEL's as far as I'm aware - not standard on the SE's.  I have a 6.9, so standard rear headrests, and tend to have them "pushed forward" if that makes sense as thius way they have less impact on rear vision (well, slightly less!). 

the debate as to what value adding original options now has on car value is an interesting one; certainly if you are intending to Show the car (at Concourse) then its an issue - but I would have thought for 99% of W116's in the world, adding something like headrests, or maybe a Becker Casette (where there wasnt one originally) are only going to make it EASIER to sell as genuine enthusiasts (read: anyone reading this thread!) will see it as a plus not a minus.
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!