News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Oil + filter change- tools?

Started by chazchuzzlewitt, 19 May 2006, 09:20 AM

chazchuzzlewitt

Hello, new 116 350se owner and I'm going to do my first oil change on her soon- are there any special tools needed- is the drain plug a standard bolt like my 124 or special hex or something?!
From what I've read the filter is a paper-type and seems like 1 long centre bolt to undo the filter housing?
Any pointers appreciated.

dudu

Hi.

I changed my oil filter some months ago and it is like this...

and the drain plug is an hex screw like this....

Hope this help.

Regards.

alabbasi

I think it's a 14mm hex key. Pretty large and hard to find.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

dudu

Just checked.

It is a 17 mm key.

Regards.

I've never heard of a 17mm hex key on any of the oil related stuff, are we sure we're all on the same page?  I think some of the early W116s with V8s had the 14mm allen head (hex key), and later ones had a normal bolt with a 13mm head, and I believe the oil filter canister bolt was a 17mm head on all of them.

michaeld

Ah, the magical enchantment of the first oil change!

Let me say 2 things so that it goes more smoothly than mine did:

1) MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have a large enough container to hold 10 qts of oil.  I did mine immediately after getting the car, before I had any manuals, and BOY was I surprised when more than seven quarts came out!  You can possibly imagine my expression as the container started to fill, and I didn't have another handy.  I can laugh at the experience now, but at the time... :'(

2) You will most likely have to move your skid plate in order to gain access to the filter.  I had one heckuva time doing that, as I couldn't get a wrench on the top screw (until finally one the one thousandth try!).  I made sure that I would NEVER have that problem again; make sure you do the same.

Wish you every success with your 350.
Mike

dudu

Quote from: 116.025 on 19 May 2006, 10:57 AM
I've never heard of a 17mm hex key on any of the oil related stuff, are we sure we're all on the same page?  I think some of the early W116s with V8s had the 14mm allen head (hex key), and later ones had a normal bolt with a 13mm head, and I believe the oil filter canister bolt was a 17mm head on all of them.

Hi.

May be the issue here is that my car ( 450 SEL - 116.033 / M117.983 ) is a European ( spanish )  version. It has an hex 17 mm screw, no allen ( here we call ALLEN the female hex within one hex ).

Regards.

All the 116s I've actually worked on have been European  :)  And I think the allens (for oil pan drain) may have only been on 107s...I can't remember, since all the 116s I've messed with have been '76+

s class

My encounters with W116 suggest that the oil drain plug was an allen key on early models (say 74 and earlier) while late ones seem to have the 13mm hex bolt. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Denis

Hello gentlemen  ::)

One thing not to forget when doing an oil change is to drain the oil in the oil cooler. there is a drain plug for that at the base of the oil radiator. I am not sure this applies to US models but it does to any W116 in Europe.

Enjoy

Denis

Paris, France

Quote from: s class on 20 May 2006, 03:24 AM
My encounters with W116 suggest that the oil drain plug was an allen key on early models (say 74 and earlier) while late ones seem to have the 13mm hex bolt. 

Ryan

Ah, ok, I was under the correct impression, then  8)

dudu

Pfff... sorry , obviously my english is not as good as i think... and i was not at "the same page"

The "drain screw" at my car , is an hex 13 mm ( no allen ) . It looks very new, so, may be it is not the standard one.

The screw for oil filter replacemente is a 17 mm hex.

Sorry for the confussion.

No worries, dudu.  There's a saying the the US and the rest of the english speaking world are "a people divided by a common language".  :D