News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Offset woodruff keys - number required

Started by WGB, 17 January 2009, 06:14 AM

WGB

Having replaced my 6.9 timing chain and being left a few degrees short I will be fitting offset woodruff keys to get the timing marks all aligned at TDC.

s class made a comment about three being required for a 6.9 as the RH cam has a long spacer between cog and the compensating washer with timing mark on it but this also includes the M117 and presumably the M116 V8's as well.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the factory manuals and I assumed only two were needed - but the Hayne's Manual does mention it as below.

Here is the diagram for the M117 showing it is the same.

As I was preparing for this job and possess a pair of 2 degree and a pair of 3 degree I have ordered another one of each before I tackle the job.

koan

This diagram from The "Introduction to 6.9" book shows two on the one cam. I can't remember there being two when I had it apart but there must be.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

Normally you only remove the sprocket and not the spacer and thrust washer which is why the extra one gets forgotton - but since the timing measurement is taken from the thrust washer you will always need to replace both.

Bill