News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Non-Mercedes wheels on a 116, 123, etc.

Started by The Warden, 02 April 2006, 07:42 PM

Nutz

If you guys are worried about brakes overheating after adding aftermarket wheels , buy some 300SD rotors which are vented. That's what I did when I added knock-off wire wheels to one of my 116's.

Quote from: The Warden on 03 April 2006, 01:14 PM
Actually, on a similar note...has anyone taken a magnet or something on those lines to confirm that the M-B "steel" wheels are in fact steel?

The steel wheels I've been around certainly rusted like they were, in fact, steel, when the paint went south on them.

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Nutz on 07 April 2006, 06:42 AM

If you guys are worried about brakes overheating after adding aftermarket wheels , buy some 300SD rotors which are vented. That's what I did when I added knock-off wire wheels to one of my 116's.

Nutz: Do you mean there were 116s without ventilated (front) disks? Those on my stock standard (UK market, so Euro spec) 280SE are ventilated. Or are you saying there were vented rears available, too?
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Nutz

Quote from: OzBenzHead on 07 April 2006, 08:50 AM
Quote from: Nutz on 07 April 2006, 06:42 AM

Nutz: Do you mean there were 116s without ventilated (front) disks? Those on my stock standard (UK market, so Euro spec) 280SE are ventilated. Or are you saying there were vented rears available, too?

My 76 450SE Euro came with solid front rotors (non ventilated) so I was just throwing it out there for those with these that might not be aware  :)

Also I checked out one of my steel wheels with a magnet and it stuck so it's definately not aluminum  :D

Quote from: Nutz on 07 April 2006, 04:46 PM
My 76 450SE Euro came with solid front rotors (non ventilated) so I was just throwing it out there for those with these that might not be aware  :)

I've never heard of a 116 with non-ventilated front rotors, and all the 116s I've worked on have been Euro...very interesting.

The Warden

Quote from: Nutz on 07 April 2006, 04:46 PMAlso I checked out one of my steel wheels with a magnet and it stuck so it's definately not aluminum  :D

If you've ever pulled your wheels off your car, how heavy would you say they are compared to other steelies?

I ask because I talked to my buddy again, and he said that his conclusion that they're aluminum came from him lifting them and finding them to be too light (in his opinion) to be steel. Based on your responses and the fact that I've seen "light" steel wheels before, I'm tending to think he's FOS... ;)