News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Noise in Steering Column

Started by Rolo, 19 January 2021, 03:28 PM

Rolo

I did a search and can't find any posts.  I'm getting a noise in the steering column that makes it sound like the horn button is rattling.  It's tight.  I can feel play and a clunk turning the wheel back and forth.  Something's worn out.  Any hints on what?  Thanks

daantjie

First stop for any kind of noise in the steering column is always the steering coupler.  If you have no record of it being replaced then for sure this needs swapping out.  Only buy Benz unit, they are pricey but worth it as the job tends to suck a bit, especially on the 6.9 where clearance is tight.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Jed

Agree with Daniel.  Ill bet money its the coupler.  Does it sound like a clanky rattle coming from right down the middle of the steering column?  Often on bumps? Thats the coupler. I think I posted a how to on this 5 years ago (can't seem to recall with my covid brain/fog). It s a tight job but very doable. 

good luck
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

Rolo

Thanks for the pointers.  Any other work while we're in there?  I think the steering box gets easier to remove at that point and is rebuildable.

daantjie

Indeed if you are planning on dropping the box then it's a no brainer to also change out the coupler.  Good time to also change out the idler arm bushing.
This can lead to a bit of a rabbit hole depending on how solid your overall front suspension is.  Usually if the rubber bits are original then they are long overdue for replacement.   Not cheap or a small undertaking but you may as well go the whole hog if you intend to keep it for a while.
Daniel

BCK1963

Make sure to have the steering wheel fixed in the straight-position before you put everything back in place :-).
This is kind of self-evident but I learned it the hard way.

I did the job on my 6.9 three times. First I had the steering box rebuilt and found it way too loose after putting it back. The workshop didn't adjust the play and told me that it had to be done after installation. But this is not possible on a 6.9 as the adjustment bolts are on top of the box. I took it out a second time, tightened it and put it back, to discover that the wheel was out of position......
The 6.9 box is very heavy and, as Daniel says, it is very tight.
Not sure but I think to remember that other W116 boxes would be adjustable in place?!

Bernd
Bernd

1976 Merc 6.9   Magnetit blue

daantjie

Quote from: BCK1963 on 20 January 2021, 02:07 AM

Not sure but I think to remember that other W116 boxes would be adjustable in place?!

Yes with the 6.9 you must do this on the bench, no room with box in situ.  I'm pretty sure with other models it's possible with box in situ, however if the nut is very tight then you will likely have to do it on the bench regardless.

Indeed that box weighs a ton :o  you need steady hands not to drop it on your face!
Daniel