News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

no start

Started by arcijack, 26 January 2019, 02:39 PM

arcijack

Been a while since i posted on this sight, but i was trying to start my 6.9, which has been sitting a couple of years, for some reason when i try to start the car , cranks very slow as if the battery is dying took starter off and took to a shop, the shop owner sid the starter was good, alternator was tested to be good as well, any quess?

daantjie

Check the battery for CCA. You need 700+ CCA and a healthy battery overall to turn over that behemoth of a motor. Start simple as always 8) Get yourself a "Solar" battery tester on amazon. Great little tool for not much money.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Ronin2

Quote from: arcijack on 26 January 2019, 02:39 PM
Been a while since i posted on this sight, but i was trying to start my 6.9, which has been sitting a couple of years, for some reason when i try to start the car , cranks very slow as if the battery is dying took starter off and took to a shop, the shop owner sid the starter was good, alternator was tested to be good as well, any quess?

Somehow I think a guy able to take the alternator off / knows this... but; How old is the battery? Most batteries have a 5 year lifespan and if not being charged / used on a regular basis ..will loose their charge over time. Put a charger On the battery overnight. If still slow...jump to a good battery on a car/truck that is running. If then you have a slow crank...
1978 450 SEL Silver green metallic / tobacco brown
1980 450 SEL Anthracite grey / bamboo

arcijack

i charged the battery and its good, but did not check the cranking amps at the time , will check tomorrow, the battery was taken out of a light duty pickup

daantjie

Indeed a battery can appear fully charged but read quite low on CCA's.  Best to check and rule that out.
Daniel

arcijack

no problem with battery, 750 cranking amps, just got a feeling the starter is going out, was not too impress with the shop that tested the starter, hope its not, because i do not want to pull off again,
a pain. When cranking over initially, it cranks strong but within a minute, it sounds as if the battery is going down

rumb

If it truly takes more than a minute to start there are other issues that need to be discovered. Throw in fresh spark plugs would be a good idea. Get rid of any gas older than 6 months max. Any old gas is worthless. With the fresh gas put in a can of BG-44K. Pull the disti cap off and see what the inside looks like.

My 6.9 probably probably has leaky injectors so it takes about 5-10 seconds max to fire up.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

arcijack

i put the battery back in, cranked a couple of tries, battery died after 3 cranks , apparently the battery is not holding a charge , will try a new battery tomorrow

rumb

MB batteries are competitively priced, plus they look awesome in the engine bay.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

daantjie

Quote from: rumb on 28 January 2019, 10:46 AM
MB batteries are competitively priced, plus they look awesome in the engine bay.

Indeed, I have the big boy A0009823308 battery in mine, but you need the big diesel spec tray to fit this one in there, tight squeeze but you can do it ;)  That one cranks like a mofo ;D
Daniel

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 28 January 2019, 12:50 PM
Quote from: rumb on 28 January 2019, 10:46 AM

Indeed, I have the big boy A0009823308 battery in mine, but you need the big diesel spec tray to fit this one in there, tight squeeze but you can do it ;)  That one cranks like a mofo ;D
^^^ This!  I did the same.  Size does matter.   ;D
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Peter

I've had over 10 years faultless service from my MB big battery, worth the money even in Australia where they are + $300 to buy  :D

arcijack

the culprit was the battery, Wal mart junk, but car popping out of intake, did not have much time to fool with it today , promise to take wife out of town, by the time i started junking with the car, she pulls up and says are you ready?  my response, yes dear :'(