News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New wheels

Started by Mforcer, 01 June 2004, 11:25 PM

Mforcer

Quote from: "mb350"Yes I have one.  Thanks 450se for all the info. Regarding "offset", what is it?  Is that lateral distance between inside rim and outside of hub? Just a guess. Also what unit is it measured in? Thanks.

Offset is not something you would easily measure. It is the distance measured in mm from the center line of the rim to the part of the rim that bolts on to the hub. Most offsets are positive but negative offsets are availoable too. There are some good websites that explain it with pictures but can't provide links at the moment.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

green450

don't know if this is any help to anyone now but just for the record I have a set of remotec 16x8"s on my 116 and found 225/50/16 to be the best fit and availability :) Also had 265/60/16 on rear at one stage but found they occasionally rubbed(only tryed this because i was given them)

Mforcer

225/50-16 were original AMG size. When I recently purchased tyres, 225/50-16 available to me were not rated at a high enough load rating. 225/55-16 had an adequate rating.

Did you really have 265/60-16 tyres on the rear? They would be huge :shock: 245 wide tyres should fit fine in the rear.
Michael
2006 B200

green450

Quote from: "450SE"225/50-16 were original AMG size. When I recently purchased tyres, 225/50-16 available to me were not rated at a high enough load rating. 225/55-16 had an adequate rating.

Did you really have 265/60-16 tyres on the rear? They would be huge :shock: 245 wide tyres should fit fine in the rear.
:o Oops didn't even think of load as this was the size i got it with they have a rating of 92 which now that you mention it is not enough but on the other hand I don't tow and rarely is it more than me in the car, yes 265 did fit but rubbed on inside at full travel which wasn't very often will have to look at load ratings more often :oops:

Nilo AMG

Guys, has anyone used 205/55 r16 on a 8 inch wide wheel? I'll maybe get a set of Potenzas that are beeing offered to me for a very low price, but would be interested to know before the experiences of someone who had actually used that size.

Thanks

Nilo

Mforcer

Tyres come with a range of rim widths that fit a given tyre width. As long as 8 inches fits the tyre there should be no reason why the tyre would not fit and work ok.

You should also pay attention to the load rating of the tyre. You don't want a tyre that can't handle everything you may ask of it, especially with the high weight of our cars. I believe in some states a car is uninsured if it has an accident while riding on tyres with incorrect load ratings.

Having said that, I don't understand why anyone skimps on tyres. They are the most important part of your car in an emergency and good tyres can certainly help to avoid accidents.
Michael
2006 B200

AMG69

hmm, no, my gut feeling is that's too narrow for 8inch; I suspect you really need 225's minimum...anyone else?
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

Michelin state on their website that a 205/55R16  tyre should fit on a rim between 5.5 and 7.5 inches with 6.5 being the optimum. 8 inches would be too wide.
Michael
2006 B200

Nilo AMG

Ok guys, thanks! Maybe that's not a good idea at all.

Regards

Nilo

boneheaddoctor

Quote from: 450SE on 01 June 2004, 11:25 PM
I am looking at getting new wheels for my 450SE that are 16x8 et11 for the front and 16x9 et13 for the rear.

My calculations suggest that either a 215/55 or 235/50 will be a close match to the original tyre size but don't know if these are right for the rim width or whether they will even fit my car without rubbing.

Also, would there be any issues having wider tyres at the rear comapred to the front?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

205/50-16 fit AND clear everything on the car.....that is only a +1 application over the 15X7 Ronal R-9 rims I have on mine....these are 205/60-15 tires.

alabbasi

I just picked up a set of these on Ebay.. Paid a little more then I wanted to, but I think it will look pretty decent on either of my 6.9's.

Anyone have recommendations on tires?
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

John Hubertz

Al,

My new Mark has Continentals.....that would be a good choice as they have Michelin "looks" and a more European tread pattern.  Road and Track carries the ads for Tire Rack - incredible specials.

John
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]