News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

New w116 owner! Trying to get it started after a long rest.

Started by mybenz, 23 November 2013, 05:57 PM

mybenz

Thanks for the advice guys.
I did get a couple of ignition modules, a new green wire, coil, resistors, injectors, distributor, wires, and plugs.
I know the tank was cleaned out, but not a the level yours was. I am getting dark pee colored fuel out of it still. I think it is varnish coming back to the tank from the return line, but I can say for sure. I will use a magnet on it to see if it is rust.

Once the fuel distributor comes back from the rebuilder and if there is no metal in the tank, I will drain it again, fill it up and hope to start it. The distributor should be back before next weekend.

mybenz

Ughhh.

I'm lost.
I have new injectors, a rebuilt fuel distributor, clean fuel lines, and spark at the plugs.

The only idea I have left is that the fuel pressure is too low to spay fuel from the injectors (I will pull an injector and crank the motor tomorrow to test).

Note: The only components in the fuel system that have not been replaced are the check valve and accumulator. Can these be bypassed for testing, or are they required for functionality?

oversize

Go back to basics....  Fuel + compression + spark = bang
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

oversize

Check that the ignition timing is correct and that the timing chain hasn't stretched badly
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

oversize

If it still runs for a few seconds with a cap full of fuel directly into the intake, it would have to suggest you still have a fuel problem.....  Pressures are critical and I'd then suggest the WUR
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)

mybenz

Thanks for the response and advice.

Here is what I found today...
I double checked the spark to all plugs. This works.

I removed two fuel injectors and had them open to the air, and started cranking the engine. Not a drop or mist of fuel came out.

Any advice on what I should focus on? I am going to pull the check valve, pump, filter, and accumulator to make sure there is not anything visibly wrong with them.
I'm not exactly sure how to test these, so I will try bypassing them to see if this helps.

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

arcijack

do you have fuel entering into fuel distributor? check your return line from fuel dist. disconnect the return lines and put it in a container and crank car over see how much fuel you get in 30 seconds

mybenz

IT'S ALIVE!!!
Not exactly, but it must be close.
I hate to admit this, but I only had a gallon or two in the tank and must have used the last of it purging the fuel distributor after reinstalling it.

Update: Now that the car has gas, the car will run and stay running only if I hold down the air plate about a ½ inch. Any more or less the car will die.

I suspect that some of the little vacuum or electronic gizmos are to blame. Can you offer some guidance on what to check next.

arcijack

try adjusting the co . there is a little screw on top of the air flow intake meter, unscrew the screw, inside the hole is a little allen screw, must used a long allen key to turn, can't remember size of key at the moment, but go to sears or auto parts store and purchase a set of tommy handle allen keys, metric.  make small turns, counterclockwise 1st, if it goes dead, turns clockwise. try that and let us know the outcome, thanks

mybenz

I will try that tomorrow.

I did not realize there was another injector (cold start injector). I removed it and looked to see if any fuel had been sprayed from it. It was completely dry inside. I suspect this should have sprayed fuel when I started the car. I have put it in a bath of carb cleaner for the night.

mybenz

I tried the adjustments. I could notice the difference adjusting the screw, but it was not drastic enough to keep the car running on it's own.

I uploaded a video to youtube.com, hopefully this will be helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-EXCT9a4_c
The car seems to have a loud vacuum like sound. I don't know if this is normal or not.

arcijack

harrycarry250

I had a problem with the warm up regulator. I could not rev my engine because of it, I had to replace it. I also replaced my fuel distributor so I don't really know what alleviated my fuel problem, the regulator is very easy to pull so you could take mine and if it works then there's yer problem. We live in the same city
1976 240D 4 SPD
1978 450sel 6.9 Euro
1979 450sel 6.9 Euro
1981 300D
1984 300TD
1986 500SEC Euro
1993 500E
2004 S55

mybenz

Regarding the AAV: I have been thinking this could be the right direction. I was reading about this part. It seems to me that disconnecting the hose from the intake manifold should emulate it being in the open position. Is this correct?

Regarding the fuel distributor: Thank you for your generous offer. I did have the fuel distributor rebuilt. That got me to this point.
It would be nice to try your WUR, if that is possible. All of these gizmos are new to me, and every part seems to be in need of replacement. It would be helpful to know if this part needs to be added to the list. I have removed, cleaned, and replaced it.

Does your car make the same sound as mine in the video? I have never heard a car make such a loud vacuum sound.