News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

new project in my garage

Started by s class, 22 June 2009, 03:25 AM

s class

I think it heats all the coolant water.  The dial on the console is a timer that controls its operation.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

koan

There's a bit of info on the web, think it was an option on top UK cars. Not sure, I may have seen same diagram with engilsh index, can't remember where though.

It looks like it is inserted into the heater circuit between water pump and block so it should heat the block

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

Progress -

I had the car on stands for a strut leak-down test.  It cost me an hour just to separate the two front leak line joints due to rust and buggared fittings. 

The left front stut passed 11cc of fluid in 24 hours, the right front about half that, and the rears each about 1cc in 24 hours.

Then I removed the left front strut and had it examined using eddy-current inspection (high-end industrial technique) to check for hairline fractures and stresses in the top cap. It came out fine. The inspection technician commented that the grain structure of the cast iron is very even indicating a high grade of cast iron.

I think we are going to keep these struts - but the front level valve passed half a litre of fluid in 24 hours. Clearly its stuffed.

Other gremlins noted (no real surprise) - the rubber fuel lines around the pump are all rotted, the tranny is leaking badly at the front radial seal. Brake lines look treacherous.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

hey sclass, watching with interest. LOL at the exhaust.  Looks like my welding ::) 

"Eddy current inspection" - hadn't heard of it but I think I remember seeing something like this on a documentary for testing jet engine parts.  Man I admire your thoroughness, I look forward to seeing how all this ends up......... But I got questions re the rounded fittings.   I've got some brake lines that are in the same boat.  Flare wrenches wont fit them and if I try multigrips they'll be stuffed for good.  How did you undo those lines with rounded fittings?  What do you do now - can you buy the steel lines new or do they have to be custom made and if so is it hard to have done? Cheers
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

That's good news and I'm convinced that the struts are very long lived. The leveling valve leak certainly is a little excessive, but I'm sure you'll be able to remedy that situation. 8)

Thinking about that collapsed mount, I'd be very interested to see how it collapsed out of curiosity. I was under the impression that they were of a fairly failsafe design.

With the fuel hoses, the main feed hose in particular, they can indeed be a nightmare. I almost got stranded at PB's house in the 450, when I decided it would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter there. As soon as I started moving the fuel filter, the main hose sprung a leak with the usual consequences. It required an impromptu outing back to my place to "steal" the new hose off the 6.9, which was subsequently replaced with another new one.

Fortunately they're a very reasonably priced part.

The brake lines with rounded fittings... I have the same problem with the rears on my 6.9 and I must change the brake hoses. It's an unfortunate predicament for sure. 8)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Oscar, the lines with the damaged fittings are going to be replaced.  As you correctly state, applying vicegrips totalls them.  But there really aren't a lot of options. 

You can buy new lines at the dealer, but they come straight, in the correct length.  You have to introduce the bends yourself.

I just take my damaged lines to a hydraulics outfit and have them copied. 

s class

TJ, I'll get some photos of that strut mount tomorrow.  The design appears to be one or more steel domes or cones, oriented with the open end downwards, and separated by layers of rubber. 

In this case, the continual hammering of the mount due to the blown spheres seems to have extruded the rubber out from between the metal components. 

The mounting cavity in the bodywork has taken a beating as the metal parts have been banging directly on it. 

adamb

Wow, sorry can't offer any advice except to say that I've not seen anything as crazy as welded bend sections in the exhaust pipe. I have seen some bodges and, by god, have been guilty myself. But that takes the trophy.

s class

TJ 450

That's really mutilated... it looks as if the rubber has been squeezed out. I wonder if oil soaking had anything to do with it?

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pez

My '76 euro 450se has that Webasto heater.  The extra pump, hoses, etc. back by the fuel pump and filter are all factory and part of the system.

My local M-B dealer [who I totally trust, they do what I am unable to, which is very little] told me that they were FAMOUS as a fire hazard, and if still connected [mine was], it should be rendered disconnected ASAP.  I trusted them and had them do that.

Esp. given the ago of our cars, I would not use the system.  Apparently, they can catch fire easily even if not turned on.

TJ 450

I imagine it would be dangerous if it hadn't been looked at in a few decades.

I'm sure if the system was serviced and kept in check, it would be safe to use though. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

pez

TJ - I've got to disagree....my shop foreman at my local MB dealer [who I really trust - he's excellent] tells me that they were a fire hazard even when new.

I'd just hate to see a good w116 go up in smoke...

koan

While I have a doubt about the wisdom of having a naked petrol flame burning away under the bonnet I doubt the engineers at Mercedes-Benz would have installed Webasto pre-heaters if they weren't safe.

I suspect one may have caught fire once and the myth propagated like many things in our society.

A web search on "webasto heaters" finds 27,000 hits, they are still selling them and I assume supporting old units.

BUT a thirty year old unit and the plumbing to it would need a careful examination before firing it up.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

fair enough pez - I will advise the owner he should not use the heater unless he overhauls it first.