News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New front end noises

Started by Rolo, 19 December 2021, 08:11 PM

Rolo

Hi all, I did the sway bar bushings and with this Forum's help, the upper control arms.  The horrible noises that had people in cross walks looking at me are gone.  The sway bar bushings were so bad, the control arms were rubbing.  But still present is a softer creaking sound on both sides, inboard of the front wheels near the exhaust headers.

Any hints?

UTn_boy

You have one of two, possibly both, issues.  The lower ball joints are creaking due to rust and wear internally, or the steering linkages (tie rods, drag link, idler arm control bushing) are also creaking from rust and/or wear. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Rolo

Good tips, both, but all that was replaced a year ago...except steering linkage.

Are you talking about the joint in the steering column?  I did the coupler a year ago too.

UTn_boy

Having been replaced a year ago doesn't mean they're not bad. Original Mercedes parts will have old rubber, and aftermarket parts have cheap rubber that only lasts a year or so.  Given that the noise is inboard, and that you never replaced steering linkages, I'd suspect tie rods, drag link, and idler arm bushings. 

I never mentioned anything about the steering coupling.  Bad steering couplings don't cause creaking noises. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo