News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

New Car Troubleshooting

Started by AceWolff, 18 January 2021, 02:54 AM

AceWolff

Hello, I was referred here from benz-world, that's the place I existed to get information about my w123. 

Well I have a 116 now and I'm having some issues with it. The biggest right now being it will randomly start to run rough, sometimes shutting off, when this happens there is a rapid clicking under the driver dash. I can't figure out where or what it is but I can guarantee there related.

Any thoughts?
~Ace

daantjie

Welcome here.
Will need more info with regards year and model for starters.
Clicking sounds like it could be a relay.  There is a bank of relays in the driver side kick panel, remove the cover behind the handle for the hood release. 
There should also be 2x relays in the main fuse box under the hood.  1 is fuel pump and the other is for the starter.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

AceWolff

It's a 1974 450SE with california emissions, 4.5 v8 and the 3speed.

There are 3 relays under the hood, I just replaced them all.

Does this car have the auto cut off circuit for the fuel pump?
If so I think it may be that one.

Currently the car misfires and after 10min of driving it won't stay running unless your on the gas.

I've also found this ford module box under the driver dash.

Ill post pictures soon. I'm waiting on a new phone In the mail.

I'll check those relays as well. I didn't think there would be any there.
~Ace

AceWolff

Relays seem okay, found a small fuel leak, I doubt its the problem, but I will be going to AutoZone soon to get some fuel line
~Ace

AceWolff

I had hopes the fuel leak was dropping the pressure enough to make it run rough, but no such luck.

It will run choppy for a minute or two then it won't run unless I'm half way down on the throttle.

I ordered new NGK plug wires, does anyone know if they take the screw top plugs?

I'm hoping there screw top on the distributor side and not on the plug side, I can't seem to find a regular style distributor cap anywhere or I would change it all over.
~Ace

daantjie

If you are going to replace the plug wires then also change out the coil, rotor and distributor cap.  From memory if you get the NGK plugs they come with the plug type connector, but I am pretty sure they screw off which then leaves the threaded connection on there if you need this type of connection.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

AceWolff

Replaced the coil/cap/rotor/points/wires

Need to get different plugs because there not the screw type.

Distributor shaft has no play.

I've noticed one of the ceramic resistors has a crack in it. It also looks like someone has monkeyed with it prior.

I wish so badly I could attach pictures.
Soon enough.
~Ace