News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Need help resurrecting a Euro 1976 6.9

Started by rockingchairmotors, 05 March 2019, 06:17 PM

rockingchairmotors

Hello

I am finally ready to work on my Euro 6.9 #000605.  I have been working on the car piecemeal for the past year.  The car has been off the road for at least 5 years.  At least 2 yrs outside and the last 3 inside under my ownership.  Here is where I am at with the car.

I have put a new fuel pump and filter on it about 6 months ago.  I has started everytime except last week when I tried to move it.  Cranks but no start.  I checked the fuses and they look OK.  With key in 2nd position I see no reserve light for the fuel.  Correct me if I am wrong but I remember that light coming on with key in 2nd position.  Seems like no power.  Wires at the pump seem ok.  What else should I check?

I am also going to need a source for the suspension.  Nitro spheres, place to rebuild my leveling devices and how to bleed the system. 

I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I have no experience with the 6.9 so I am going to need help from the community.  Car is located in the Lehigh Valley PA.  My email is rockingchairmotors@yahoo.com if there is anyone close by that would like to help in the resurrection. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

tcj

Hi Jeff,

suspension: http://www.600airsuspension.com/#hpf (Martin Werminghausen) is the place to go with your HPF.

regards,
Thomas

rumb

you can jump the fuel pump relay and then feel the pump to see if it is running. You can also apply 12V directly to the fuel pump terminals and see if it starts that way. the relay is the right top one in fuse box standing on the left side of car by front fender looking at it.  jump pins 1 and 4. top left and bottom right holes. If that works then bad relay.

Pour 2 gallons of fresh gas in tank to make sure level sender isnt wack.

If you havent already, remove all fuses buy new copper ones and clean all the terminals.

duckduckgo.com = intergalactic search engine without tracking, the sphere part numbers. I did a lot of searching to find the lowest price.  they vary greatly. 3 front ones and 2 rear. When you replace them use good line wrenches on all fittings. anything stuck heat with torch, cool and they should come off. The front right one remove battery tray and then unbolt the bracket on the sphere from inside the wheel well.

remove, empty,clean the hydro reservoir and replace the bottom hose. the system is self bleeding, but getting it to rise the first time can be very challenging. jacking up and lowering the front and rear of car repeatedly can get the valves into the correct position to allow fluid into the struts. It took me about 2 weeks to get it up after complete rebuild. when first starting put the end of hose from hydro pump into the reservoir fill hole and crank until a solid stream of hydro oil comes out, then reattach. Leave your pump alone dont open it unless later you are sure you have a issue with it. easy to damage insides.

Other will chime in with valve rebuilders.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Diesel 617

Have you checked the inside of the fuel tank for varnish? Remove the first aid kit + box and pull the fuel sender. If it is anything but sparkling clean inside, you know where to start.
X3 1980 300SD Blown Heads, trans -Retired
1980 450SEL Parted out/Scrap
1980 450SEL to Diesel Parted Out/Scrap
1979 280SE Euro Spec Cloth Seats Sold
1979 300CD Daily Driver - Sold

Inventory of w116 Parts
[url="https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff"]https://www.ebay.com/usr/vintagepartsandstuff[/url]

rockingchairmotors

Yes tank is cleaned when I put in the new fuel pump. 

Do anyone have a link or can post a later 116 shop manual with the 6.9 info in it.  I have the 2 volume 116 but from 1973 and it does not have the 6.9 info in it.

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rockingchairmotors

OK  Update

Had someone help me as I cranked the motor.  Put more fresh gas in it, push down the plenum and she fired right up.

and

I found my W116 2 volume shop manual and low and behold it was printed in 1982 and has the 6.9 info in it.

I am going to need a passenger side valve cover gasket.  Last time I checked, at least a year, it was either NLA or out of stock.  Anyone know what the status is on them? 

Next, I am going to move on to the suspension system.  I will read the manual but where should I start?  Car does not rise at all.  Fluid is in the reservior. 

Thanks again for the help

rumb

Getting these beast to rise the first time can be quite a chore. As mentioned first disconnect the line running from the pump to the tank and put the end into the fill opening until fluid comes out strong. reconnect.

There is a preasure switch on the 5th sphere in left front wheel well this controls the dash light. this sphere has to have pressure before anything will happen. The control block - regulator on top of the hydro tank may need cleaning. there are about 3 tiny ball bearing in the block to carefully remove and clean everything.  I think there is a tiny filter in one of the ports.  very carefully disassemble, clean and put back together.  My valve I don't think was working. Car wont rise unless that block works.

Next is to jack front and rear of car up alternate so that the leveling valves are somewhere in their operating range and in the fill range.  repeated pulling up on front fenders to bounce the valve may help. If you can get front to rise then back should come up also.

Read the entire section in the manual and you will understand the theory of operation.

You should probably replace all the spheres before anything else. otherwise you have to bleed the whole system again. Check the big hose going to them, mercedesourse sells a kit for them.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rumb

'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

rockingchairmotors

****UPDATE****

Finally getting back to this car.  After 2 months but worth it.

Tightened my valve cover gasket and stopped oozing. 

Made sure the the Hydro tank was topped off,  started the car,  pulled the suspension handle all the way out, pushed down and up on both fenders, jacked the front end up and back down and after about 5 minutes.......She rose up.

I was going to take for a quick spin and checked the trans fluid.  None.

Question.  What type of ATF should be used in the trans?

thanks for the help.  Getting there slowly but surely

daantjie

Good ol Dex III. I run Castrol Multivehicle which is backwards compatible to Dex III. Also Valvoline Max Life gets good reviews.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rockingchairmotors

Thanks daantjie

I will be back at it next Wed weather permitting.  I will let you know how it goes.

raueda1

Having gone through a similar process I've been watching this with interest.  Mine is a Euro like yours, #925, so very similar.  Despite being in good running condition when I got it (whatever that means), I've still put in a LOT of work.  What I learned pretty quickly is that there's a huge difference between "running" and "running 100% right."  When my 6.9 was just "running" several friends drove it and were just delighted.  They thought it was great.  However, I came to discover that it was still a long way from completely sorted. 

Since then I did complete overhaul of fuel delivery system, rebuilt WUR, rebuilt/cleaned distributor, cleaned and flushed hydraulic system, mostly new hoses everywhere, new heater/AC servo, new injectors, rebuilt leveling valves, rebuilt transmission (and replace center drive shaft bearing while apart), new steering coupler, new fuse block and more small odds and ends than I can remember.  This was all spread out and, except for transmission job.  All this added up to a series of small incremental improvements.  The car wasn't really laid up for long periods and was driven between jobs.  Quite a bit in fact, thousands of miles.  Still on the list is thermostat replacement, triple check timing, rebuild fuel distributor, eventually new spheres, trying to fix cruise control computer (I'm not very hopeful).

What's the point of this long and not so helpful list?  Just this:  these cars are old and even the best examples still needed a lot of work.  If previous owner(s) didn't do it then you will.  This shouldn't be off-putting and is all part of the fun.  Take your time and enjoy the car.  Not everything needs to be done at once.  Between jobs drive and enjoy!  And delight in the little improvements being made along the way.  They'll all add up to  BIG difference.  These cars are just a joy to drive!  Best of luck with it and keep posting on progress.  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

rockingchairmotors

raueda1
Thanks for the post.  I agree 100% in your assessment.  Car still needs lots of work but at least its getting better.  Guy I got it from wanted to junk it.  I couldn't let that happen.

I want to try and get it to the point of driving it then nip away at things. If it goes down the road (after adding the atf) I have at least saved one from the crusher.  I will updateon Wednesday weather permitting.

daantjie

Just a tip on the transmission fluid top up. Might be best to drop the pan and change the filter (Mann brand only) and do a proper fill. Also drain the torque converter. These transmissions are very sensitive to correct fill levels, must be checked fully warmed up with car level, in P and idling. Take multiple readings with lint free rag or better a chamois type cloth to wipe.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber