Author Topic: Name of bushing  (Read 599 times)

raueda1

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
Re: Name of bushing
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2019, 09:44 AM »
By coincidence I do have a picture.  The long shaft is 76.  The spring, obviously, is 81.  83 is just a washer that backstops the spring and sits between the shaft and bushing 78.  78 is not really visible.  It sits in a ball socket on the fitting on the firewall.  When I got my car it was gone for some reason.  The linkage was sloppy, as you can imagine.

The round ball shaped bushing is missing in this picture........or am I missing something?
It's not missing, just very hard to see.  It's directly behind the spring where it sits in a ball socket.  It's dark back there and the socket is recessed so it isn't very visible when it's in place.  But it's there.  If it's missing the shaft will wiggle around.
[edited for clarity]
-Dave
Now:  '76 6.9 Euro
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

UTn_boy

• W116 Addict
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2019, 12:49 PM »
By coincidence I do have a picture.  The long shaft is 76.  The spring, obviously, is 81.  83 is just a washer that backstops the spring and sits between the shaft and bushing 78.  78 is not really visible.  It sits in a ball socket on the fitting on the firewall.  When I got my car it was gone for some reason.  The linkage was sloppy, as you can imagine.

The round ball shaped bushing is missing in this picture........or am I missing something?
It's not missing, just very hard to see.  It's directly behind the spring where it sits in a ball socket.  It's dark back there and the socket is recessed so it isn't very visible when it's in place.  But it's there.  If it's missing the shaft will wiggle around.
[edited for clarity]

Ah ok I see it now......wayyyyy back there.  However, it's in the wrong location.  The round plastic bushing is supposed to sit in the front cup of the metal bracket welded to the firewall, not behind it.  Change that as soon as you can. 
« Last Edit: 22 August 2019, 12:31 AM by UTn_boy »
1966 250se coupe`, black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3, papyrus white/dark red leather
1973 300sel 4.5, silver blue metallic/blue leather
1976 280s astral silver/blue MB Tex
1978 450sel 6.9 Euro, Anthr/velour

raueda1

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2019, 04:41 PM »

[edited for clarity]

Ah ok I see it now......wayyyyy back there.  However, it's in the wrong location.  The round plastic bushing is supposed to sit in the cup up the metal bracket welded to the firewall, not behind it.  Change that as soon as you can.
Nice catch!  You're quite right.  That picture was BEFORE installing the bushing.  It's now it is indeed in the cup as you describe.  Sorry for not checking, should have sent the "after" picture.  :o
-Dave

Janse

• Classic
« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2019, 01:21 AM »
Thank you guys. Any links to the right item on ebay?

raueda1

• Classic
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2019, 09:55 AM »
Thank you guys. Any links to the right item on ebay?
I don't know, but it is available from MB.  Very cheap.
-Dave