News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Mystery heretic post

Started by Denis, 09 July 2006, 01:22 PM

Denis

Hi fellows

I am mystified. I got my Euro W126 with M110 engine back together.

The engine fired up instantly, ran for five seconds and died. I checked the fuel pump and it was WARM, since it is fuel-cooled I opened the fuel tank connector before the pump. Note that this is a W126. No filtre there and NO fuel, so I added 10 liters of fuel in there. STILL nothing coming out  ???

The car is sitting flat...what the devil is going on ? Can anyone help me with this mystery ? All diagrams of the tank show a filter while mine has none....and NO fuel. Is there an evil spirit in the fuel tank that sends it all back to Iran ?

Denis

Paris, France

Hey, I have never seen this kind of problem  :-[

michaeld

Quote from: Denis on 09 July 2006, 01:22 PM
All diagrams of the tank show a filter while mine has none....and NO fuel.

I have my own (non-heretical) mystery.  My car, according to the PO's records, was delivered to San Diego in May of 77.  Yet... my car has a blue ignition coil, which apparently denotes a transistorized ignition that was abandoned in 1976 on V-8s.  I'd have to open up my distributor cap to make sure just WHAT I've got, and I don't want to open another can of worms just now (given my overheating dilemmas).

All that leads up to, look at the diagrams for the previous model - even if your car shouldn't be in that group - and see if the diagrams match your car.  If they don't, then look at the following model year diagrams.

OR is it possible that a PO could have removed the filter (and even its housing?) w/o replacing it? (stupid move!).

It sounds like your pump motor is getting current (since it was warm).  A lot of fuel pump systems run off of 12 volt, so as part of your diagnostic you could run it directly off of your battery and see what happens.  I would presume the pump sits near the bottom of the tank; is it possible there is a mesh filter above it that is gummed up (is that the filter you're mentioning the car doesn't have?) or that the pump motor  itself (especically the impeller) is gummed up so that it can get current and heat up as it tries to work, but not function in moving gas?

PS My condolences for France's coming up just short in the World Cup bid.  It's too bad Zidane couldn't keep his head out of his opponent's chest; but it sure looked like Matterazi played the "pathetic victim of a vicious attack" game to perfection as he acted as though he'd been shot by a cannon.  We'll never know if France could have won outright in overtime - if not in penalties - if Zidane had stayed in the game.  France clearly had the fresher legs.

Watching the World Cup games on tv, I can understand why soccor never has - and likely never will - "make it big" in the USA.  It comes down to this: Networks don't want to show soccor on tv because there are no timeouts or quarters; and therefore no opportunities to run the ubiquitous commercials that make them money.  At the same time, w/ no timeouts and no quarters, "A.D.D." Americans are forced to watch and keep watching and watching w/ no chance of relaxing their overwhelmed attention spans.

That and (lack of) scoring: it's not merely that games are often 1-0 and the like, but ending a game on penalty kicks is rather like ending a basketball game on free throws or an American football game on field goal kicks; it just goes against the grain.  In order for the game to ever take on in America, soccor would have add play stoppages to provide for breaks and increase the size of the goals to foment more scoring (and therefore also less chance of unbreakable tie games).

Just my two cents on the mystery of why the world's game is largely ignored in America.  Mind you, I watched as much as I could, and enjoyed the games immensely.  Those athletes are phenomenal.
Mike 

Denis

Hi Michaeld

QuoteOR is it possible that a PO could have removed the filter (and even its housing?) w/o replacing it? (stupid move!).

One truth about old cars is this : ANYTHING may have been done to them in the past.

Nothing comes out of the tank ! so I am going to remove it and see... ::) methinks that poking at the evil spirit in there may let it's aura loose and make the petrol reincarnate into the pump  ::)

As for our loosing at soccer, it was really a very close game by two very good teams. Zidane DID loose his temper and Matterazi did put on a show but hey - itsa itaaalian - ever seen Berlusconi explain why he was the right man for Italy ?

I think that you have a point about soccer lacking commercial interest for US networks. Let me explain what "we" think of baseball. First, it is not a sport : there are no real athletics but a lot of gum-chewing posturing - very American  ;D  and you get to walk to a base for free if the other team doesn't "manage" things correctly ! on top of that it is entirely impossible to know how long the whole thing will last  :P

Tell you what, add LAWYERS  to the game and it could become exportable prime time material for us Europeans - we need an LA Law character in there to make it fun for us and maybe a Doctor Green or Benton to tend to those that get hit by a baseball  8)

Cheers mate

Denis

Paris, France

michaeld

Denis,
I agree that POs can do darn near anything, but bear in mind the possiblity that your car may be in some mid-model year transition (though it's hard to imagine any system not having a filter).

I'm sorry for your fuel delivery woes: you not only have the potential of electrical fairies, but evil Iranian spirits besides!  My word of advice: attack the ones w/ the long white beards first (if you get them, the other spirits will fall into line).

Touche on your baseball analogy.

I disagree w/ you to some extent: baseball DOES require athletic ability (you have to be fast running the bases to beat professional athelete's throws; pitching is an athletic art form; and hitting requires hand-eye coordination that can't be believed).  That said, I agree w/ you; baseball is BORING to watch for 9 innings, and I'm one American who would rather watch soccor.  I only watch baseball in the playoffs (though, come to think about it, I only watch soccor when something's really at stake.  The quintessential essence of sports to me is watching atheletes perform under enormous pressure w/ major stakes).

In any event, playing in the World Cup finals is a huge accomplishment, and I hope France is proud of its team.  You can rest assured Frenchmen got further than US men will ever get!

s class

Denis,

I presume the W126 tank will also have a gauze strainer at its outlet?  If so its hard to believe that it is SO blocked that not a trace of fuel comes out.  But maybe it is?

You can remove the strainer from the bottom of the tank without removing the tank.  You need a large tube socket - I think its like 36mm or something. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Denis

Hi S class and all

QuoteI presume the W126 tank will also have a gauze strainer at its outlet?  If so its hard to believe that it is SO blocked that not a trace of fuel comes out.  But maybe it is?

Hohoho, you bet it is  ;D

I pulled the fuel tank and removed the big filter - the screen filter was fully VARNISHED up to 90% of its height  :o

I was happy to pull the tank because there is very little room to work from underneath. This car has spent about 4 of the last six years just sitting there !!! Once I removed the strainer, the smell in there was more like camphor than petrol. The bottom of the fuel gauge is cruddy...

A simple calculation tells me that fuel would only flow in the upper 10% of the screen and then only barely - this requires putting at least  25 litres of fuel in the tank before it would let a bit seep to the starved fuel pump...no wonder the engine behaved badly.

Thanks for the support !

Denis

Paris, France

michaeld

A mystery solved is always a cause for celebration.

One little note; while you've got your tank out, you might see if you can find some magic solution that will clean and restore the insides.  If the filter was that nasty, you can bet some vile gas sat in there for a year or so too long.

I remember my brother and I tossing the tank of his '56 Ford F-100 about like a medicine ball as we sloshed some rejuvinative solution around inside (I can't recall if he was sealing a leak or cleaning the tank out so that particles of the original finish didn't float around and clog his lines).  In any event, it sounds like your tank could probably use some TLC.

Just a thought.
Mike

OzBenzHead

Denis:

Check http://www.ppc.au.com/ (on which you'll also find a US link). From the home page, click on, in order, products / kits / fuel tank repair kit.  I have used this product on a couple of cars and found it excellent.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

michaeld

Ozbenzhead,
Should have known you'd be ahead of me.  After all, since it's tomorrow in Australia relative to us folk in America, you are technically from the future.

Mike

Denis

Dear michaeld and Ozbenzhead

Ahemmm...this fuel tank comes from a 1983 W126 S-class ... nothing whatsoever to do with a '56 F100 Ford  >:( you are hurting the poor thing's feelings  :'(

I let four litres of whjte spirit sit in the tank for 24 hours and teh tank came out reasonably clean with NO corrosion at all. In fact, I have never had a Mercedes-benz with a rusty fuel tank, not even my W114 of 1968.

BTW, you guys are technically in the past and the future for me in France 8)

W116.org time travel - extraordinaire !

Denis

Paris, France