News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

My Solex to Weber Conversion: Pictures and Notes

Started by agav, 01 March 2016, 10:57 AM

Zaxxon

That's some invaluable documentation for someone else going through the same thing at some point! Nice job!!! Congrats on getting it all figured out!

--Zax
---
Mercedes: '99 CL500, '86 500SEC, '96 SL500, '06 R500, '02 ML320, '78 450SEL
Porsche: '80 928S 5-Speed, '86.5 928S RogerBox '86.5 928S 5-Speed, '83 944
Others: '84 Callaway Alfa Romeo GTV6, '83 Tiara, '87 FZ

agav

Somehow my previous post didn't go through but I wanted to keep this thread updated with my latest in case it might help anyone.

After finally getting it all installed (and learning tons in the process), I realized that the hood doesn't close anymore. Two problems with that:

• The weber sits on top of the secondaries on the intake and the air filter adapter sits centered on the weber. That means the original air filter sits an inch or two two far to the rear of the car. It should sit centered over the middle of both primaries and secondaries like the Solex. That way it interferes with the throttle linkage that goes over the valve cover unless raised with extra gaskets on the air filter adapter.
  • The assembly of intake adapter plate, heat insulating gasket, and carb is about an inch higher than the actual Solex.

I am trying a different air filter adapter now, that offsets the offset by half an inch or so. If that doesn't work, might have to resort to using a Weber air filter which I don't want because the whole point was keeping the stock one. :-\

Not sure if I have a different intake on the California 280S, but I can't imagine it as all carbed versions have primaries and secondaries...

To be continued...
1975 W116 280S in Topaz Brown - my project

70sBenzGuy

Thank you for this great info.  I am trying to complete this conversion myself on my 1975 280s!