News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

My 450 Idles slightly rough....

Started by 500eguy, 18 July 2007, 04:00 AM

500eguy

Well, i am happy to report that my 450 is running great, loads of power, handles great. I Have replaced everything to do with the ignition, Wires, plugs cap rotor. Car idles slightly rough, i think i may need to adjust air fuel ratio thing and idle a bit. I also notice that after the is warm and i go back to start it up it puts up a little bit of a fight, not a lot but a little. I tried the putting car in Neutral and turning on the ignition. After i did that it starts right up. Any ideas on what needs to be fine tuned?

Andrew280SEL

The way you put in neutral and tried the starter sounds like a fuel pressure problem.
Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you operate the starter in a gear that it won't actually start in it will operate the fuel pump. So, it sounds like the car loses fuel pressure after switching off to me. A new fuel accumulator may be order (if that's the right thing to replace :-\).

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks BTW?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

hmmm.... i guess it could be that. If i don't do the gear trick than i can pump the car 2 times and it will start.

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: 500eguy on 18 July 2007, 04:43 AM
If i don't do the gear trick than i can pump the car 2 times and it will start.

Yes, my 280 does that too, though I couldn't get the gear trick to work. The thing I didn't get was I thought injected cars didn't receive fuel when pumped during starting. Maybe K-Jet's different.

Is yours K-Jet as well?

EDIT: Wait sorry, I just saw your Sig! Yep, '79. K-Jet.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

I would use two cans of injector ceaner and a full gas tank - assuming you have a clean fuel filter as they can "varnish" up.

Failing that it would need ful pressure checks and probable tuning of idle mixture.

Also worth checking the auxillary air valve if you have hot idle problems - there has been a lot of recent discussion about this problem.

Bill