News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Moody temperature gauge

Started by Zagato, 02 October 2009, 11:46 PM

Zagato

My temperature gauge has a habit of shooting up to maximum and sticking there until many minutes later when it feels the need to drop down to actual temperature readings. Doesn't happen all the time, but it seems to be affected by the loose instrument panel that moves in and out upon acceleration and braking.

Some furious tapping at the instrument plastic with my finger, or readjustment of the instrument panel sometimes cures the sticking-at-maximum problem. So I ask, would this be related to a poor/loose connection at the instrument panel? Or perhaps a loose/bad connection at the water temperature sensor plug?

Big_Richard

its likley to be a loose connection at the instrument cluster, as I wouldnt of thought tapping it would make any difference if the poor connection is at the sensor - although it cant help to check it, clean it and tighten it regardless.

Zagato

You're right, the problem lies at the instrument cluster. I had a feel behind it (literally because I can't pull it out all the way to see the problem), and found that the fastener for the needle was a bit loose. Touching it would stick and unstuck the needle from maximum!