News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Modern audio retaining factory Becker

Started by Flogrates, 25 December 2020, 10:43 PM

Flogrates

Hi all,

Been doing some reading into how best to get some modern speakers into my 450, Ive seen a few topics on hearing using bought adapter cables but I am a tight ass and don't particularly love the idea of relying on international post atm.

I am considering using a line output converter/adpater/whatever into what ever amp is on gumtree at the time.

Has anyone got any experience with them ?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-channel-high-quality-line-level-converter/p/AA0416

Something like this, into an amp into whatever speakers will fit while retaining the factory look. I haven't got that far yet

Nabstud

I haven't used that one but another from jaycar, had speaker input and rca output, was pretty basic. 2.5years later it is still working great in my Ford Ranger with original head unit.

No experience with a Becker but can't see any issues.
1975 280S - Australian delivered

floyd111

This should work without much issue, and for 32 bucks it simply can not get cheaper. But, like any amp, it can only amplify the signal it gets. And, that Becker output quality is maybe not ideal.
Depending on your love for tunes, you might consider a secondary, hidden system tucked away in the dash somewhere, controlled by remote and showing only a USB for MP3 in a discrete spot. Switch your speakers to similar size, but higher spec, maybe do that in the back as well, if you already have rears. Or, add rears. Even with such a hidden setup, and speakers in original small size, the sound quality and functionality will be miles better than a booster amp connected to a 70's becker.
This will allow you to keep all the original looks, and if you choose to, your Becker can still work with these better speakers connected. I just wouldn't use both hifi systems at the same time..

PMcG

I put 5 inch Alpine speakers in the back.  They fit perfectly.  For the front, 3 and a half inch Pioneers did the trick.  They all sound great.  As has been said, the original audio systems were not made to rock out, based also on the clientele of most 116 drivers back in the day.  Car speaker technology has come a long way since the 70s and you'll thank yourself for the speaker upgrade.
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

Flogrates

I'll def be updating the speakers at the same time. 

4s in the front and 5s in the rear.

I was tempted to put a modern headunit in the glove box but I don't think I care enough for the bother of the whole thing.

mrkozzy

A very timely topic.
I have a fully functioning Becker unit however it is not connected.  I know the sound will be "so-so" by todays standards, if I were to reconnect it.
After I did the carpet trims and my rear parcel shelf I ripped out all the 35+ year  old speakers, all the wiring and left the car without any audio whatsoever.
Even my aerial hole has been closed up and painted over. (professionally).

All good and well except, now the care has no music what so ever.

I'm researching these "Out Of Site" systems and from what I can see, it may be the answer I'm looking for.

The magic word is Bluetooth.

From what I can see so far, I can mount ONE of these units anywhere, probably under the front or back seat. It has no head unit so I leave my Becker alone, (for looks only).  These (Out of Site) units work off "apps" from my phone. (Or anyone elses for that matter.)

So far so good.

Now to find out whats available in tiny high output speakers that may suit this type of unit.  Looking for small and powerful, not original full size.

Heres my research so far.

I'm in he early stages of this and need to ask more questions.  Anyone been down this road yet? If so, what do I look out for.

A link to youtube.     https://youtu.be/Z56cWW-q8ac

MrKozzy

Flogrates

That looks really intriging.

94w RMS will possibly over power the smaller speakers we would run though? I haven't looked super far into that aspect yet tho.

My long forgotten audiophile voice is saying a/b run Alot hotter than d. Something else to worry about under a seat.

floyd111

I don t see how this is better..-or cheaper, than a regular headset. Nowadays, low-end headsets with just aux, USB and bluetooth, and no CD or cassette are really tiny, and produce 4x45/60wtt. Sure, they are not RMS watts for that price, but sufficient.
  You can hide them anywhere, even inside a door panel if that's easier.
It also takes getting new speakers and rewiring the system, so no difference there neither. Unless you are connecting a subwoofer somehow, mid-price speakers and a basic headset will suffice for good sound, and already be heaps better than the Becker.

So, to me this all-in-one seems a money-grab, selling the unit for 550 plus shipping, rather than the 100 or so bucks for (f.e.) a nakamichi headset that I am running in my CRV.

In this 550usd advertising, I saw o mention of these being RMS numbers, just peak output, as always, all of it in the high frequencies, great for that early onset tinnitus. ;D
I also see no mention of a modern chip, delivering 24DAC oversampling, and for this money, that would be expected in 2021

The money you save not buying that thing can be spent of proper speakers.
If, per chance, you are upgrading to reference speakers, and you want more oomph, buying such so-called convenient all in-one sets is not automatically the best way.

Modest but decent power amps producing even as little (REAL) 2x45wtt RMS, or a real 4x25wtt RMS aren't that costly, or that big. You just gotta check the specs and make sure you are actually getting RMS watts, and not propped up, compiled peak watts numbers, as is usual.

Flogrates

Quote from: floyd111 on 28 December 2020, 12:43 PM
I don t see how this is better..-or cheaper, than a regular headset. Nowadays, low-end headsets with just aux, USB and bluetooth, and no CD or cassette are really tiny, and produce 4x45/60wtt. Sure, they are not RMS watts for that price, but sufficient.
  You can hide them anywhere, even inside a door panel if that's easier.
It also takes getting new speakers and rewiring the system, so no difference there neither. Unless you are connecting a subwoofer somehow, mid-price speakers and a basic headset will suffice for good sound, and already be heaps better than the Becker.

So, to me this all-in-one seems a money-grab, selling the unit for 550 plus shipping, rather than the 100 or so bucks for (f.e.) a nakamichi headset that I am running in my CRV.

In this 550usd advertising, I saw o mention of these being RMS numbers, just peak output, as always, all of it in the high frequencies, great for that early onset tinnitus. ;D
I also see no mention of a modern chip, delivering 24DAC oversampling, and for this money, that would be expected in 2021

The money you save not buying that thing can be spent of proper speakers.
If, per chance, you are upgrading to reference speakers, and you want more oomph, buying such so-called convenient all in-one sets is not automatically the best way.

Modest but decent power amps producing even as little (REAL) 2x45wtt RMS, or a real 4x25wtt RMS aren't that costly, or that big. You just gotta check the specs and make sure you are actually getting RMS watts, and not propped up, compiled peak watts numbers, as is usual.

It's AUD not usd. And it's 27x4rms. So slightly under powered but still quite adequate for most of 4" speakers you would buy for a w116.

I personally have l as than zero interest in a modern headunit anywhere in the car. But you do have good points.

Flogrates

I found this in my travels last night

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M1824BT/Kenwood-KAC-M1824BT.html

It's a fair bit cheaper than the other one and has the control panel you could tick away somewhere.  Ash tray maybe ?

Can get it off eBay for the Aussie on here.

floyd111

""It's AUD not usd. And it's 27x4rms.""

Right. That DOES make a diff. Got distracted and then confused, haha!
So, by my own argument, this BOSS set is actually much better than I thought.

mrkozzy

Thanks for the input everyone.
It helped me further my research and check out many many reviews and youtube videos.

After many hours on the keyboard going round and round, I'm going with the Kenwood.  Its about mid range price wise and has a lot of following.

Thanks Flograte.

Now before I order, I need to research part 2 - The speakers. And decide whether I really want (need) 4 or if 2 are enough. 

Here we go again.

MrKozzy

Flogrates

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on that amp and 2x 4" Rockford fosgate punch and 2x5 1/4 inch of the same make.

JeffCullen

Not sure which Becker you have, but given what I've learned about my 485 I suspect it would be possible to feed the line-level output it sends to its external amplifier under the glove box into a more modern and powerful amplifier... you could then install bluetooth into the head unit and have the best of all worlds!  I bet it'd sound pretty great with the caps freshened up in the head unit -- these things are beautifully built inside.

edit: Boom! No affiliation! https://www.ebay.com/itm/302830515212
edit2: And now one is headed my way for a future project...
edit3: Just occurred to me - the aux and Bluetooth mods feed in pretty close to the volume control, so you aren't listening to much of the original unit... but it's sure fun controlling it with the OG volume knob :)
1979 300SD #6680 - Astralsilber - 153,750km
1998 E300 Turbodiesel - Rauchsilber - 172,000km

Flogrates

Quote from: JeffCullen on 05 January 2021, 01:34 AM
Not sure which Becker you have, but given what I've learned about my 485 I suspect it would be possible to feed the line-level output it sends to its external amplifier under the glove box into a more modern and powerful amplifier... you could then install bluetooth into the head unit and have the best of all worlds!  I bet it'd sound pretty great with the caps freshened up in the head unit -- these things are beautifully built inside.

edit: Boom! No affiliation! https://www.ebay.com/itm/302830515212
edit2: And now one is headed my way for a future project...

I've been going around in circles Alot but that cable (or similar) was an early plan. Either with a Bluetooth module into the Becker. It just works out alot more expensive than stand alone Bluetooth amp.

Edit - ok not that much more expensive. I am just tight lol.