News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Michelin XWX

Started by jbrasile, 19 March 2012, 12:31 AM

jbrasile

Hello everyone,

This weekend a ran across a few sets of brand new XWX's 205-70vr14's here in Sao Paulo for  a avery good price and I would like to hear from those who run the tire with regards to ride quality and handling.

Car is currently fitted with Kumho KR 21's and they are extremely smooth and quiet while still delivering decent grip and wet traction. They are definitely quieter than the Michelin XT-AS's I had before,  which is something that really surprised me.

I have heard XWX's can be tricky in the rain but how do they "feel"  as far as comfort?

Tks a lot,

Joe

TJ 450

I would also love to hear opinions on the XWX's performance when new. They were supposed to be the reference tyre of the time.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Type17

@jbrasile: Are the ones you've been offered new enough to use? (less than 6 years from date of manufacture) - If they're old stock, they'll be too hard to be any good in the rain anyway.
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

littlefin

There were XWX's on my W108 when I bought it, but they were much too old and hard to judge ride & handling objectively. I have since replaced them with cheaper japanese tyres (& have also rebushed the suspension incidentally) which instantly improved both ride & handling.
I had a drive in a 6.9 fitted with (virtually) new XWX's the other day, but as it was my first 6.9 experience (and not my car) it's also hard to pass objective judgement, but I didn't think the ride was particularly great.

I think they were probably really good 'back in the day' compared with contemporary offerings, but IMO they have probably been superceded by modern tyre technology. I would say that they are generally only bought now by those people (with deep pockets) who insist on fitting OE.

In my experience Michelin tyres are made from quite a hard compound (good for longevity), but consequently do not have particularly good handling characteristics in cold climates or in the wet. There is of course always a compromise in road tyres between soft compound = better grip & hard compound = longer life.
110011 1967 230
108057 1972 280SE3.5
116024 1979 280SE
126037 1983 500SEL
124030 1989 300E

jbrasile

Type 17, I have to double check the date codes but they seem to be pretty new, maybe 1-2 years so I think that should be a non issue.

From what I have read XWX's use and extremely soft rubber compound for additional grip, and I wonder if that contributes to a better ride. Some people rave about them, some hate it.

I would disagree with regards to Michelins being hard, in my experience Continentals are pretty firm and Pirelli's are the worst. It is true that the Kumho's currently installed give an outstanding ride but I would have installed Michelin's if they were available...

Tks,

Joe

TJ 450

Michelins have been know to use a grippy soft compound for some time, if not a very long time. The last set of Michelins I had were Pilot Precedas, and I can only rave about their performance. If I wanted a quality tyre, I would buy Michelin or Conti either way.

As was discussed recently, the XWX is still the best option for the 6.9 in terms of specs, driveability does need a review though... Nathan?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Kjhall65

I agree with TJ450, I have used the Pilots a number of times and they were great especially in the wet.  I have conti on my current BMW and I am not as impressed with their grip.

I have to get new tires all round for my 450SE in the coming months so I would be really interested to see what peoples opinions are.  I've just done the bushings and shocks in the front end and have the SLS in the back.

Ken

jbrasile

I think Carl also runs XWX's both on the 116 and 126.

Will be waiting for more feedback. I ended up buying a set of 5 for a client's 450SLC which is going through a Concours restoration and the  guy still has 10 or 12 left.

Tks

Joe

nathan

my 2cents (2.2US cents)...

i had a worn in set on my 6.9 when i bought it originally in 2000 or so.  we currently have a brand new set on dads 6.9 ('goldie').  contrary to some other opinions, i found these tires very soft. i think this is why they wear very quickly. from memory, the previous owner of my car seemed to get 30-40000km off them. they are easy to light up, and soft tracks of 'elevens' can easily be left with a 6.9.  i think the softness of the compound translates to a softer ride which is nice.  after my XWXs reached the end, i got factory 15 inch bundts and put michelin primacies on them as at the time, i couldnt find any more XWXs which seem to be made on limited production runs by coker.  i think both offer excellent ride quality which most couldnt distinguish. in saying that, id feel safer in the wet with the newer primacies.  from memory, the XWXs worked out at ~ 550 each (AUD roughly = USD) without any sort of trade discount.  in contrast, my 15 inch rims cost about the same as that, then the primacies were 300 each. however, at least in 10 years, ill be more likely to find V rated tires for my 15 inch rims than the only V rated 14" tyre which is the XWX.
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

jbrasile

Hi Guys,

Went and looked at the date codes on the XWX's today:  0600, or 6th week of 2000!!! What a shame because the guy has about 20 tires, all brand new but unusable!

Well, I guess I will have to find another solution for mu client's 450SLC...

Tks for all your input.

Joe

Big_Richard

jbrasile

MT, from all I have read and heard the rubber dries up and looses its ability to grip, tires get really hard, have no traction, ride and safety get compromised. The place where the tires are stored is dry, well ventilated and dark bit 12 years is a long time.... if someone has any experience storing tires for a long time and has some input, I am all ears... it is a shame to have to pass on these.

Tks,

Joe

koan

What about an email to Mr. Michelin ?

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Kjhall65

I don't know about other states in Aust, but in the ACT you can't get the car passed for rego if the tires are more than 10 years old...